8N hard steering

/ 8N hard steering #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I had to help a neighbor put hay up, last weekend, and had to move his 8n. I almost couldn't turn the wheel. Man, that was one hard to turn steering. This is just the plain Jane little 8n no loader or any thing and the steering is very hard to turn. Is that normal and if not what should he look for to get it freed up and working smoother. bjr

/ 8N hard steering #2  
First I would grease the sh$t out of the front spindals and all of the tie rod ends. Put a jack in front and see how hard it is to turn the wheels by hand. I had one that was froze up on the 640 I just bought, I also had to heat it up with a torch and while my dad turn the wheel I greased and forced out old grease dirt and water

/ 8N hard steering #3  
no it's not normal. with no loader, the dual sector boxes should turn like butter.

assuming no binding from the spindles.. look at the box.. is it early or late style.. late use oval side covers.. early is round.

any play witht he steering wheel rotationally before you get wheel movement?

does the steering wheel rais and lower as spun lock to lock.

some people adjust the backlash studs excessively tight instead of correct thrust bearing problems because they don't know better.. ( late box ).

post back some info

VERY easy boxes to R&R

/ 8N hard steering #4  
This is an old topic -- just adding some info in case anyone else is having trouble.

The 8N manual calls for "heavy duty motor oil - SAE 50 HD, or straight mineral gear oil - SAE 90" in the steering gear case. But in an old 8N, this typically leaks out. On another forum I found suggestions to use a very soft grease instead of oil. John Deere Corn Head Grease was specifically recommeded. I've been using this for 10 years, and it seems to work quite well -- it still leaks out, but more slowly.

Now, getting the grease into the steering gear case can be an interesting challenge, especially because there were at least 3 different places to insert lubricant, depending on the serial number of your 8N, with yet another arrangement on the 9N/2N. For 8N ser no 216988 through 452912, you remove a bolt from the right side of the case. It's directly behind the proofmeter cable, so you have to take off the proofmeter cable first, then find the bolt with an 11/16" hex head (you'll probably need an extension on your socket wrench). Take this bolt out (don't lose the lock washer!), and insert lubricant through the hole.

On later 8Ns, there's supposed to be a 1/4"-20x5/8" screw on the steering column that's used as a filler plug. Earlier models have a different steering gear, and I'm not sure where the filler plug is.

To get the John Deere Corn Head Grease into the filler hole, I use a grease gun, with the zerk fitting removed and replaced by a little plastic nozzle I scavenged from a package of silicone seal. Messy, but it works.

/ 8N hard steering #5  
cornhead grease is a NLGI )ep polyurea grease.

You can also get NLGI 00EP grease from a snapper dealer.. or a stens lubricant dealer. many CNH dealers can order a pourable light grease that is EP.

In oct 1962 ford put out a service bulletin to convert the boxes to NLGI 0EP grease to prevent sector seal leaks and dry upper thrust bearings. e tc.

This is an old topic -- just adding some info in case anyone else is having trouble.

The 8N manual calls for "heavy duty motor oil - SAE 50 HD, or straight mineral gear oil - SAE 90" in the steering gear case. But in an old 8N, this typically leaks out. On another forum I found suggestions to use a very soft grease instead of oil. John Deere Corn Head Grease was specifically recommeded. I've been using this for 10 years, and it seems to work quite well -- it still leaks out, but more slowly.

/ 8N hard steering #6  
I've used corn head grease in rotary cutter gearboxes, never had a problem afterwards.

/ 8N hard steering #7  
heck.. some gear boxes even SPEC a thin grease.

0 and 00 ep greases have kept slightly worn cutters going for years areter their seals got weepy.

of course real answer is to repalce the seal.. however i have seen at least 1 instance where a off the shelf seal was NLA.. and grease was an option.. vs machining the gearbox for a new seal..e tc.