water in intake

/ water in intake #1  

oldude

Tractor
51 8n ford
water in intake on 8n ford

When I replaced the gasket on the intake manifold I noticed a small amount of antifreeze water in the intake port. Should I be worried about this or just let it go. Will it get worse? What about Barrs Leak? :

Last edited:
   / water in intake #2  
It's been years since I messed around with a 8 or 9N, didn't remember they had a water heated intake. Anyway, do it right. Replace the gasket, making sure you get all traces of the old gasket off both mating surface. You can use a small bead of silicone sealer around the water port of the manifold, but do not use silicone sealer around any of the intake ports.

Ken

/ water in intake
There are no water jackets in the manifold. The water jackets are in the block behind the manifold. Btw the tractor is running great.

/ water in intake #4  
Ok, that sounds bad then. Best suggestion is to use a coolng system sealer and hope for the best. Over the years the best sealer I found for cooling systems came from GM. A fibrous "pill", 2 in a package I think. Worked better tor klme than any of the liquid sealers.

Ken

/ water in intake #5  
Those fibrous pills believe it or not... Are, if I remember right, ground pecan shells.

/ water in intake #6  
forget the snake pills and figure out the problem.

5 minutes of diagnostics can quell the need for any voodoo or BS product purchase.

most of the time when you see a lil water in the intake or exhaust port of a manifold is because one of the studs that goes into the water jacket didn't seal perfectly and syphoned some water.

those studs should have 2 threads and an egg between them.. many don't seal good..I reccomend using a good thread pucky or dope on the threads.. then double nut them into the block..

you can look at the plug of the cyl you say the water in and decide if it's been drinking a lil bit as it will be clean. same with the exhaust port..

post back

/ water in intake #7  
ps.. not all snake oils and stuff are bad.. some even work.. just figure out IF it's needed before adding.

most addatives do no harm... but ones in the cooling system end up being sediment.... and unless they are doing some tangible good, are not 'wanted'..