NAA weep hole cotter pin broken

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken #1  

fnirish

Tractor
1954 Ford NAA
The cotter pin in the weep hole on my 54 had been worn or broken down to a nub. When I went to change out the hydro flue id, I was wiping down the bottom and the cotter pin went back up into the sump. Is there any way to get that nub out of there and re-pin the weep hole without having to crack the tractor in half? Maybe throught the inspection plate at the shifter or even through the plate where the hydro dipstick is?

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken #2  
the cotter pin is in the dry area of the bellhousing.. not the tranny.. and deffinately not the hyds setion!

maybee get to it removing the steering box.. but .. lotsa work..

I know one guy thet drileld the hole out a lil bit, tapped it for a small pipe plug.. drilled the plug.. installed a cotter in the plug and screwed it in...

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken
That makes sense - otherwise it would leak all the time. I guess since the weep hole is so close to the hydro drain plug I just assumed...

Anyway, that's areally good idea for a fix. Do you know how much space there is from the inside of the hole and "important parts"? I don't want to go too far with a drill bit. Thanks a ton for the tip.

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken #4  
don't use a foot long drill bit. the casting ain't super thick.. go a couple inches in and you won't hit anything..

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken
Great! Thanks again!

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken #6  
Could you guys refresh my memory and remind me why that cotter is there. I have one on my Farmtrac too.

Edit...... Is it just to keep the hole from plugging up letting oil leak out if necessay.

Here is an idea, How bout bending a wire into an L insert into hole, repeat and then twist the wire together. You could hold the wire with vice grips in the middle and twist the ends.. The twist would make it bigger on the end and keep it from going up......... Just a thought.

Last edited:
   / NAA weep hole cotter pin broken #7  
It there in case you get water in the bell housing and building up moisture and sticking the clutch and also if the input shaft in the trans leaks

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken #8  
probably could stick a machine screw sized doggle in there as well, leaving hte stem and a washer hanging out. just double nut the toggle so it did not unscrew

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken #9  
the cotter pin is in the dry area of the bellhousing.. not the tranny.. and deffinately not the hyds setion!

maybee get to it removing the steering box.. but .. lotsa work..

I know one guy thet drileld the hole out a lil bit, tapped it for a small pipe plug.. drilled the plug.. installed a cotter in the plug and screwed it in...

Neat trick, I'll have to remember that.

/ NAA weep hole cotter pin broken #10  
a lil bit of work.. but less than splitting...