8n wont start

/ 8n wont start #31  
Had the same problem with 1949 8n I had put in new points and coondenser spark plugs everything I ended up putting in another condenser and a new harness she starts and runs great now. First condenser was bad even though it was new.

Last edited:
   / 8n wont start
I went out today and now i cant get it to roll over, charged the battery up all day and still wont roll over? Im going to have to see if the benix gear is stuck but not sure if that would be it or not. I should add the starter soleniod just clicks.

/ 8n wont start #33  
what does a voltmeter on the bat say when you hit the start button and the solenoid clicks? if it stays high.. like 4.5v on a 6v system.. then loosent he starter screws a bit and pop a chissle inthere and give it a whack to loosen it up a bit.. or put in 4th and rock back and forth to pop loose.

if v drops way off bat is bad.

if bat is good but no starter and not stuck.. check bat and ground connections / cables..

/ 8n wont start #34  
Clean the battery connections for starters on that. And verify you are getting a full charge on the battery.

I assume you have a volt meter?

Check and see if you are getting voltage at the heavy gauge on the starter relay where it comes from the battery?

If you arent, you dont have a good connection.

If you ARE, push the starter button and see if you are getting juice out the other side of the relay.

If you are, assure you are getting the voltage at the starter itself. IF you ARE, then its something wrong with the starter if it still aint cranking.

If you are not getting juice OUT of the relay, then its in the control side of the circuit. This is a simple part. That third wire on the starter relay (Much smaller one) ONLY goes up to the push-button starter. And when you push it, it grounds itself completing the circuit. You can test this by checking ohms from that point on the relay to ground, and make sure it goes to 0 ohms when you press the starter button. But odds are it isnt that if you are hearing the clicking. Clicking is a sign that THAT part is working fine.

You most likely just have a bad connection on the HEAVY guage wire side of the circuit.

/ 8n wont start
Thanks guys look at tomorrow

/ 8n wont start
ok so i checked out some voltages, battery on charge all night so got 6.58, then on the battery side of the starter solenoid again 6.58 and on the other side of the solenoid when the button is pushed i get 6.55.
dont have much time to play with it today working nights but friday afternoon i will have the time for it..

/ 8n wont start #37  
no v drop.. so no load.

whack it with a hammer a few times while holding the button down.

if it catches.. plan on pulling the starter for a brush job and perhaps a comutator polish...

/ 8n wont start #38  
Yep, getting good voltage to starter AND through the relay, so the issue is the starter.

It isnt a bendix stuck, or you would see a voltage drop as s-guy mentioned. If you do what he says, and the hammer trick, new brushes and a polish dont work, new starters are terribly expensive. you can get them for about $100

/ 8n wont start
I went and looked at the starter today and it will spin with a screw driver. tried the hammer thing and nothing. i played with the brushes a bit to make sure they were touching, so i guess its a starter

/ 8n wont start #40  
yep, if you are getting 6v between the wire going to the starter and ground, and it still isnt spinning, its the starter.

Good thing is that they arent terribly expensive.