8n wont start

/ 8n wont start #1  

kool cat

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 23s
hey all
new to the site and new to 8n's.
I picked up a 1950 to 52 8n, it hasn't ran in two years. when i bought it the guy told me the it didnt have a spark. so i clean thing up so i can see everything and fixed some wires with bad connectors. then i couldnt get the starter to work so i got a new starter solenoid. and still didnt work.
I called my father in-law cause he has a 46 8n we found that the battery was no good boosted it and it rolled over. so we still had no spark at the plugs. it was supost to have a new coil and point and condensor, then i got new plugs. And still nothing.
So we had one more person come over and look everything over. so I bought a new coil and condensor cause we didnt know if it was rebuilt right and didnt know if the parts were any good. we rebuilt the distributor and still no spark.
so its a 1950 to 52 ford 8n with a side distributor.

Anyone have any ideas? :confused3:

/ 8n wont start #2  
Did you check your on/ off switch, check voltage to the switch and check voltage out of switch, if you have voltage coming out of the switch then check that you have voltage going to the coil, if your gettin voltage to the coil check and see if your getting it to the points

/ 8n wont start #3  
The voltage at the points, should drop to (0) volts (ground), when the points close.

/ 8n wont start
yup getting power to the coil and the distributor and that is where we are losing it.

/ 8n wont start #5  
I'm not understanding "losing it". If the wire is hooked up and you are measuring voltage. "it's there". If you have the wire off and have voltage and don't after hooking it up, there is a short inside or the points are closed.

/ 8n wont start
that is what we are thinking. somethings not right.
how can you have the power at the distributor then nothing. how can that be?

/ 8n wont start #7  
The points are the last element in the low voltage circuit of the ignition. One portion of the points is tied to ground, the other portion is tied to the low voltage wire from the coil. When the points close, the low voltage wire from the coil is grounded through the closed points.

/ 8n wont start
is there a way check for the power in side the distributor?

/ 8n wont start #9  
Remove the low voltage wire going to the distributor. replace it with a wire you can touch to ground. Each time you touch it to ground, you should get fire from the high tension wire on the coil .. to ground. Do you have the battery in the correct way? I believe the original wiring was with a (+) positive ground.

/ 8n wont start #10  
There should be power on the one segment of the points .. if they are open.