Ford 800 carb/fuel problem

/ Ford 800 carb/fuel problem #1  

farmallbill

Bronze Member
Tractor
farmall m, Allis Chalmers WD x2, Husky 390XP, Husky 455 Rancher
Working on a Ford 800, The tractor would not rev up when the lever was pulled back to full throttle, if the lever was worked real slow could get the tractor to rev up some, found that the gas line at the tank was like bubble gum and only had a trickle of fuel, replaced the line from the tank to the inline fuel filter and now have good fuel flow to carb. Found it would still not rev up unless pulled slowly. removed the carb bowl and found that the bowl was clean and passages were clean. installed the bowl and set adjustments on carb, found still had the same problem, tried adjusting the carb and found it was a little better but still not correct, pulled choke and found it did not make any difference while the engine running so for the heck of it pulled throttle back fastly with the choke pulled out and found that the tractor ran great, Thought of hole in intake manifold looked and cannot see one, Not sure if I am heading in the right direction or not, any help would be appreciated.

/ Ford 800 carb/fuel problem #2  
make sur ethe choke flapper and butterful are installed correctly.

while it could be lean.. I'd expect it to die when snatching the trhottle down.

do some test by manuall pulling the carb butterfly rod from the governor, and not the hand throttle.

you may also have governor issues.

ensur ethe choke is not sticking and restricting air flow.

post back

also.. is it really an 800 series.. or 801 series.

also.. should be no inline fuel filter.

tank tap has a filter.. then there is a sediment bowl and screen atop it.. and that's on the side of the carb with a banjo bolt.

/ Ford 800 carb/fuel problem
The guy that has it says it is a 800 but not sure or how to tell on this, tank has the screen in the tank, the inline fuel filter was added by someone before I got it here, it has a hose from thetank to down below the manifold and then a inline filter and then a hose to the carb. pulled fitting out of carb which was not original and there was no screen in the intake of the carb that I could see.

the choke is not sticking, ran with the air pipe off and could see that the choke was working freely,\

will check the rst in the am when I go to the gargae and will post back sometime tomorrow, thanks

/ Ford 800 carb/fuel problem #4  
the screen for the carb sets atop the sadiment bowl that is banjo-bolted to the carb...

that farmerized fuel delivery system may be causing you problems.

bellhousing aft of the starter has the model ID # and ser #

unhooked the carb abd throttle linkages and ran by hand at the carb and have the same results when I rev the tractor up it does not want to stay running unless the choke is pulled all the way out and then revs up and down fine. both choke and throttle are free and choke appears to be installed correctley. took apart carb and cleaned, looked good inside nothing obvious. what is the basic starting point for adjustments on these tractors? all I have is a it manual for a naa but does not give goos starting points like the carb on my Farmall m. thanks

/ Ford 800 carb/fuel problem #6  
unhooked the carb abd throttle linkages and ran by hand at the carb and have the same results when I rev the tractor up it does not want to stay running unless the choke is pulled all the way out and then revs up and down fine. both choke and throttle are free and choke appears to be installed correctley. took apart carb and cleaned, looked good inside nothing obvious. what is the basic starting point for adjustments on these tractors? all I have is a it manual for a naa but does not give goos starting points like the carb on my Farmall m. thanks

1.5 turns off the seat is a good place to start with the main jet. It sounds like you have a lack of fuel. Have you checked the flow coming to the carb? As mentioned, it could be that filter. I am guessing that you checked the float height since you had the carb off already.

/ Ford 800 carb/fuel problem #7  
deffinately sounds lean.

could be fuel starvation.. or vacume leak.

studid me never thought of float height. I will check that. I pulled the line of going to the carb and found there is full line flow of gas to the carb along with a new fuel filter from napa. Ran and sprayed the intake with either and never got the tractor to rev up we had a manifold years ago on a 800 on the farm that had a hole in the intake. I am going out to the garage later and will see how I make out. thanks

checked the float and found it was ok, I had noticed the venturi in the carb was loose when I had pulled apart and never gave it a thought put back together and tried and still had same result, pulled apart again and looked in some books I have and figured the venturi was installed upside down, switched it, reassembled and used your adjustment, started up and the tractor runs so good now, i was a happy man tonite, Thanks for all your help on this hope some day I can help you out Soundguy,

/ Ford 800 carb/fuel problem #10  
glad you got it going.

ps.. for future work.. if you ever have a 1/4" drill bit die on you.. save it.. use the stem portion as a calibrated float setting gauge / tool :)