861 diesel cold weather starting

/ 861 diesel cold weather starting #1  

mj58

Tractor
ford 861 ferguson to20
with colder weather comeing i would like to get some advice on a heater to help get it going when i need i was thinking of getting a freeze plug heater for it but the ones that stick on the side of the block would be fine just want to get one that works the first trip to the parts store thanks mike

/ 861 diesel cold weather starting #2  
The magnetic ones are not very good. You will be disapointed if you go that way. I woukd recemend the ones that go on the lower rad hose. I have found they do a good job.

/ 861 diesel cold weather starting #3  
I'd do a combo.

a lower rad hose is a great example... negates the need for afreeze plug heater.

if you have power steering or a loader in the way.. though the freeze plug may be easier.

a mag heater is not good for the block.. but is great for the oil pan.. slap it on the bottom.

can do so for the hyds and diffy if you like.

I have a buddy in indiana. has 3 mag heters. oil pan, trans and hyds, coolant heater, and a 1a trickle charger. he keeps them on a timer and sets them to come on about 2.5 hours before he goes outside.

leaves him a warm / topped off battery.. faster hyds, faster / less drag tranny and warm oil and water. cost him 100$ to do that. but pays off whenthe white stuff is on the ground I hear.