/ 600 #1  

mj58

Tractor
ford 861 ferguson to20
awhile back i looked at a 600 tractor a friend had for sale it wasnt running at the time but he said he had it running for a short time after he got it before that i was told it was in a barn for a lot of years any way he tried to start it and locked it up so he put oil in the plugholes and freed it up so i went down and looked it over clened out the carb atried to start it it locked up again in a few turns i dont think it is pumping oil so i want to intersted but we worked out a trade i thought i would just use it for parts but the more i think about it i think i want to put a oil pump in it just to see how bad it is so the question is when i take the pan off what else should i check while im in there i really hate to just part it out another question on the block it looks like it is stamped 650 but does the clutch pedel set up high on the models with out live power thanks mike

/ 600 #2  
the 5 spds have high clutches. the *6* ones are at your knee.. so even higher.

I would not immediately assume the oil pump is bad unless it was running and had no oil pressure.

besides.. you could pull the dizzy and use a drill and spin the oil pump.

I'd find out what is lockingit.

pull starter make sure nothing hitting flywheel..

press clutch to make sure trans not locked..

pull plugs to make sure not hydro locked.. then bar over manually

/ 600
thanks for the reply in a day or two i will pull the loader off it and start checking it out closer i know the trany is free becacuse i pulled it off the trailer with the 861 but with the loader to work around its tough to get to some of the parts also this tractor still has the gen on it and 6 volt is there any reason this would be a neg ground i always though they were pos ground but the guy i got it from had it hooked up neg and his buddy who helped him get it home said that was how it was suposed to be thanks mike

/ 600 #4  
it rolled out of the factory as 6v pos ground if it was a gasser.

the friend that said that that was how it was suposed to be is plain wrong.

in 59 when the diesels came out.. they were 12v neg grnd.. but gassers were still 6v pos grnd.

in 65 with the 3 cyl models.. they all went to 12v neg grnd..

mind you.. those old gennies could be polarized to run either ground polarity.. just swap ammeter leads.. re orient battery.. poalrize genny.. swap wires side to side onthe coil and go.. really didn't care.

/ 600
thanks soundguy i thought that was right it is a gas job when i get deeper in this i will be back you must have spent a lot of time working on these old tractors im sure i will need lots of advice thanks mike

/ 600 #6  
the 53-64 fords are my favorite.. and yes.. I do have a barn full of them.

/ 600
today i pulled the loader off the tractor and got the dis out ran the oil pump with a drill the presure came up alittle so i tried turning the motor useing the pump shaft and a pipe wrench couldnt move it its free from the clutch back havent pulled the starter yet but i think the ring gear is still on the flywheel i did see it turn over a couple time then lock up again any ideas were to look next thanks mike

/ 600
back again today i pulled the starter every thing looked ok there took the raidiador off and then i couldget more leverage to turn the motor i got it to turn backwards and it turned that way ok then i turned it fordward it would have a tight place in it every once in awhile so i put the starter back on and the battery back in and turned it over with the starter for a few turns it seemed to be free you could feel it blow air out the plug holes i put the plugs back in turned it some more and it tightened up again so i oiled the cylinders and put the plugs to set longer thanks mike

/ 600 #9  
Sounds like it could have rust in the cylinders or it could have galded pistons

/ 600 #10  
don't have a bore scope do ya.. or one of those in the walls scopes. see what the cyl liners look like.

otherwise.. head gasket set will likely be in order....