Tractor to Finish mower

/ Tractor to Finish mower #1  

467ron

Tractor
Ford,8n
I have a Ford 8n and just got a used finish mower is there anything special I should know about the drive shaft that connects the two
As I am a novice with these implements.

/ Tractor to Finish mower #2  
Make sure the ujoints line up at both ends (most shafts only go together one way), make sure it is greased (at the ujoints and the sliding part) and make sure it is latched onto the tractor before you turn the PTO on.
I would also make sure that you turn the tractor off before connecting or disconnecting the PTO.

Aaron Z

/ Tractor to Finish mower #3  
mnake sure the sahft is not too long to bind when you lift it.

a finish mower has little rotary inertia.. but DO remember if you hit the clutch to stop.. that the mower will backfeed some thru the pto to the diffy.. thus making it harder to stop. with a rough cut 'hog' use of an ORC is mandatory with non live pto. you can get by without it on a finish mower if you so desire. I just leave an orc on my old fords for any pto loads.. etc..

/ Tractor to Finish mower #4  
Also make sure the shaft is not too short. If it comes apart in the middle while the PTO is driving it that's dangerous.

/ Tractor to Finish mower
Thanks is there a special size shaft for finish mowers versus other implements or are they odels I have a 1949 Ford 8N
and purscased a Allis-Chalmers model 63 , 5 foot mower everything seams to work fine just haven't a pto shaft
want to get the correct one the first tie around

Also does anybody know what type or weight of gear lube to use in the gear box
sinsce I haven't recieved my manual yet

/ Tractor to Finish mower #6  
What kind of finish mower are you trying to hook up to the 1949 Ford 8N?

/ Tractor to Finish mower
!949 Ford 8N to a allis-Chalmers 5 foot Model 63 Finish Mower

/ Tractor to Finish mower #8  
Going back in time here a bit. And I'm no youngster. You will have make sure the spline on the output shaft on the tractor matches the PTO shaft to the mower. Same goes for the PTO shaft to the mower connection. If you do buy a PTO shaft reach an agreement with the seller that you can bring it back if it does not fit. As far as length goes that also would be trial and error. Again let the seller know what you are dealing with. Been there. Done that. Tractor Supply worked very with me the time I went through this.

/ Tractor to Finish mower #9  
8n oem shaft is 1 1/8" 6 spline. new sae spline is 1 3/8 6 spline.. new shafts for N convert them to a new spline. or you can use an orc with the correct male / female sides..

/ Tractor to Finish mower #10  
8n oem shaft is 1 1/8" 6 spline. new sae spline is 1 3/8 6 spline.. new shafts for N convert them to a new spline. or you can use an orc with the correct male / female sides..

Good Afternoon Ron,
You can do as Soundguy suggests, or you can also buy an adapter spline that would slide over your 1 1/8" spline and convert it to 1 3/8". They can be bought from most tractor supply houses, Valu-bilt tractor etc. For a finish mower it would work fine, not much enertia there...