600 ford blues

/ 600 ford blues #1  

allen6634

Silver Member
Tractor
600 ford
i have just aquired a 600 ford tractor , this is my first tractor by the way the first thing i had to do was to replace the lift top, mostly my falt, now the clutch relese lever has broke, i can't get it off to replace it , it looks to have a pin running thru it and from what i see on the internet parts store the replacement looks like it has holes for a pin to be in there, i also have a problem with this tractor running hot does anyone have any ideas to where i should start ?

/ 600 ford blues #2  
I'd start by getting a service manual.

post a pic of the damage to the release lever. while it may be repairable.. it may be simpler to repalce with a serviceable used part.

600 is the series.. the model ID will be based on trans and pto options and will be stamped on the trans bellhusing, along with SN. ( 640, 650, 660... 4spd, 5spd, 5spd/live pto )

running hot?

does it spit and steam? or the gauge just say hot.. or? are you overfilling the radiator ?

core clean ?

need more info to go on....

/ 600 ford blues
i do have a manual, one problem is that it has went missing, the temp gage gets to 190 at th but when i shut the tractor down it spits steams and acts like it is over heated, i have ordered a new temp gage because i was thinking the old gage wasn't reading right, i have the water just covering the cores in the rad, was told thats how it is sopose to be . i have also got my clutch release lever off have a new one waiting to be put back on, wile the tractor was down i started putting new gaskets and seals in ( to stop all the oil leaks) should have back togther buy the end of may.

/ 600 ford blues #4  
replace that thermostat and clean up the mounting cover. sounds like the old one is sticking closed mostly.

/ 600 ford blues #6  
um.. not sure i'm folling the question?

you HAVE to remove the thermostat to replace it.

are you asking if you can remove the thermostat and run without it?

You CAN.. but you shouldn't. it's only a 6$ item..

you CAN live without 1 lung, 1 kidney, and your spleen, your stomach and 80% of your intestine.. but that's not good either.

if it didn't need a thermostat.. ford would not have put one under that top hose cap when it left the factory... it's there to keep the engine up to proper temps..