Ford 8N Tractor Chains - Seasons Greetings from Nova Scotia

/ Ford 8N Tractor Chains - Seasons Greetings from Nova Scotia #1  

DrJC

Tractor
1972 ford 2000 3 cyl gas
I am knew to tractoring and just got my hands on an old 8N. It has 28" rear tires and I am in need of chains for plowing this winter. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which type of chain to purchase. I probably will buy used. My tractor mechanic suggested that ring chains are hard on the tractor. Any thoughts from those in the know? Thanks,

John

/ Ford 8N Tractor Chains - Seasons Greetings from Nova Scotia #2  
2 and 4 link are the most common. The 2 link chains ride smother then the 4's. They both have the same traction.

/ Ford 8N Tractor Chains - Seasons Greetings from Nova Scotia #3  
Welcome to TBN. Ring chains will be hard on driveway, rough riding, but you wont get any ice building up on the driveway.

/ Ford 8N Tractor Chains - Seasons Greetings from Nova Scotia #4  
Double ring chains - just don't sit there and spin them

/ Ford 8N Tractor Chains - Seasons Greetings from Nova Scotia #5  
I also like the field and road chains for ag tires helps keep the links from sliding between treads

/ Ford 8N Tractor Chains - Seasons Greetings from Nova Scotia #6  
sawdustsmb is right, the double ring chains are what you want, (not the same thing as "ring" chains, aka "Canadian Chains"). I've had double ring chains on my 8N for over 30 winters, in the woods and in the driveway, good traction, even on ice and in the wet spots too. No wear showing either, I think they're a hard stainless, because no rust.
simonmeridew

/ Ford 8N Tractor Chains - Seasons Greetings from Nova Scotia #7  
I think I've seen the ring chains on skidder tires. I'd look on uncle henry or something like that for chains and just adapt what you find to fit. Chain never wears out- no matter how rusty it looks! What is busted- just replace the link. I like the rivet links you spread with a ballpein hammer. I use a grinder + vise or cold chisel + 3 lb hammer to cut links. Has to be a labor of love- or spare yourself! Buy them in good shape to fit!