3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N

/ 3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N #1  

spotco2

Tractor
Ford 8N
I have been looking at the quick connect for the 3 point hitch for my 8N.

Anyone used one on a similar tractor? Does it work as easy as it looks?

I was looking at the one from Northern Tool.

NorTrac Three-Point Quick Hitch Category 1 | 3-Point Hitch Adapters| Northern Tool + Equipment

508330_lg.jpg

/ 3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N #2  
NO they dont work as easy as they look.

For starters, what implements do you have???

Just guessing, but most people I know with old ford tractors, also have old implements. The lower pin spacing has to be EXACT of that quick-hitch wont work. And also just important is the location of the toplink on the implement. Since the QH is rigid, ALL of the toplink holes on your implements have to be in the SAME location, and usually set forward a bit so you can "hook" into it from under.

This one is QH compatable. King Kutter's 84" Professional Quat Rear Blade Notice it is open below the toplink hole so you can "hook" it up from under.

This one is NOT Everything Attachments 5' Value Scrape Blade for Compact Tractors with 25-50 HP Notice it is NOT open below the TL hole.

Now, if you understand all of that, check your implements. IF you do have ones that ARE compatible, they are okay. But also keep in mind that they place the implement farther back as well. And the 8n doesnt have super strong hydraulics, or alot of weight up front. And also may require a longer PTO shaft on your equipment as well.

If your implements are NOT compatible, they make JUST lower links that are quick attach. PAts easy-change, or carter.

Welcome to CARTER AND SON'S TOOL AND DIE
Pat's Easy Change System - TractorByNet.com Store

/ 3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N #3  
ditto what ld said.

if everything is exact.. it works.. :) if it ain't exact.. you have to modify it or it don't work. it also sets the implements back, menaing you might have pto shaft length issues as well.

/ 3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N
I was just trying to think of an easy way to swap attachments around quickly. I'm clearing out some of my property that is very thick with 1"-3" undergrowth that has not been touched since the 70's. I don't want to clear cut everything, just expand the back yard a little and playing as I go.

Y'all are correct that my implements are older than I am and I'm 39. It's just a PITA to change over from a scrap blade to the carry all and dirt scoop. I also have a box scrape, sub soiler, 55 gallon sprayer and bush hog. I don't think I could grab any of them with the top hook after looking at them today without some mods.

Maybe it's just my technique, but changing from one to another kicks my tail sometimes.

What I've been doing is just back the scrape blade into the bush pushing the brush over and ripping the roots out of the ground with a chain. Drag everything over to a clear spot, then load onto the carry all to take it to the street for the city to pick up :)

I grew up on a farm watching my grandfather fight with implements with a pinch bar, 2x4 and generally just kicking the crap out of things getting them to line up. That's pretty much what I'm doing now and was hoping for a better way without having to spend a bunch of money.

After I get the land cleared up (less than 1/2 acre), I'll have very little use for the tractor. Maybe I'll just have to work on my technique and learn a few new cuss words until I get this land cleared off. I might still look into the lower quick hooks for the sake of my sanity. After all, I'm still in for less than $200 for the entire set up including a carb rebuild and tune up.

/ 3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N #5  
the longer you hook and un hook implements, the better you get at backing up to them square, and the better you get at dropping them where you can get at them easy.

first 5' implement I hooked up took me 5-10 m to get it all right.

now 10 and 15' implements are back n go.

a spud bar or a 2x4 now and then, however can help.. :)

I was doing some work at a Tractor Supply store today and they had just the lower link connectors made by Field Tuff. They were $129 so I picked up a box on my way out. It's all hencho in China but can be returned if I don't like them. I'll try to get them on this week and play a little bit.

/ 3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N #7  
spotco2 said:
I was doing some work at a Tractor Supply store today and they had just the lower link connectors made by Field Tuff. They were $129 so I picked up a box on my way out. It's all hencho in China but can be returned if I don't like them. I'll try to get them on this week and play a little bit.

I've used the exact same connectors by field tuff for several years, and i

/ 3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N #9  
can you hear me now? :)

/ 3 PT Quick Connect on a 8N #10  
Sorry, I posted twice, and for some reason, it cut of the text. I have had a great experience with these connectors, and they have held up to everything that I have thrown at them, occasionally being very rough with them. The powder coating has also help up excellent for two years of constant use. They have definitely made my life much easier when installing implements. I usually saw implements multiple times a week, sometimes several times a day. The main thing that you want to do with them, is ensure the the bolts are tightened down, and one they are, they will not lossen. I usually use a rubber bungee cord between the arms when I do not have an implement attached because they tend to make the ends of the lift arms heavier, and they swing more. I would highly recommend these, and I have had nothing but good luck with them..