1965 Ford 4500?

/ 1965 Ford 4500? #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
Hi, I've been looking through the forums for a while now and finally have a good reason to start a thread. Any all help will be appreciated. I recently purchased a 1965 Ford 4500 for $1000 with the loader, I'm not sure of the loader model but its straight, tight with all original Ford pins, no welds anywhere but the bucket has seen better days. I bought the tractor with the intent of stripping some parts off, loader, front axle and whatever extra parts and putting them on my 1968 3000. It took me about 30 minutes to get it running and it runs GREAT! I hit the key and it started first try without stalling and it was 10 degrees yesterday morning. The steering only works when I'm moving. Yesterday I picked up a 753 backhoe to go with it. It's been sitting under a pavilion for the last 30+ years or so at a YMCA, they were asking $2600 & it was loaded on my trailer for $1900. There's a few small pits on one cylinder but that's it. He hooked it up to the tractor that came with the BH and everything works good except the swing. That's the story so now for the questions.

I changed the oil in the tractor already. I'll change all the fluids-filters in the loader & tractor but what should I look for in the steering, I did notice that the wheel raises when I turn it in one direction. The swing cylinders don't work in either direction so I'm not sure what that's all about but everything else works great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 1,954
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    814.3 KB · Views: 1,366
   / 1965 Ford 4500? #2  
Welcome to TBN! I would start by obtaining the manuals for the 4500 and the backhoe. They would probably help you diagnose the problems you are experiencing and you could fix them over time. Then the 4500 could be the dedicated backhoe/loader and the 3000 for other chores. Keep us posted.

/ 1965 Ford 4500? #3  
Nice find and good price.

That backhoe is easy to take off and put on too:thumbsup: And you should have no worries about the tractor. That loader is the one typically found on the 3400, so having the 4500 and a smaller loader....no worries about front axle and what-not.

As to the BH, that hoe uses swing chains, so first check to see if the cylinders are actually moving and you possibly have just a broken chain.....

I "think" all the functions are fed from the same valve block, so if all the other functions work, you know you are getting pressure there, just not "out" to the swing function. Inspect the hoses and make sure they are hooked up and not just spraying fluid where you cannot see it. Also check to make sure the linkage that connects the lever to the valve is hooked up and not broken. And make sure it actually operates the valve.

Lastly, you could try cracking the hydraulic fittings and see if you are getting fluid to the cylinders when you pull the lever. And if not, start working backwards until you find the problem.

AS to the steering...what do you mean by one wheel raises??

/ 1965 Ford 4500?
Thanks for the help. I have the OEM service manual for my 3000 and it covers 2000-5000 but not 4500. I'll have to get that soon. Thats a good idea about the linkage, I didn't think of that. The steering wheel spins out about 3/4" from the cloumn when I turn in one direction. I'm trying to figure out how to run the Hyd. hoses right now. There are 3 hoses coming off the BH, I know I have to split the supply from the loader to the BH and get the return back again. I'm not sure if I split the supply 2x to the BH or does the return get split 2x?

/ 1965 Ford 4500? #5  
There are 3 hoses coming off the BH, I know I have to split the supply from the loader to the BH and get the return back again. I'm not sure if I split the supply 2x to the BH or does the return get split 2x?

Pics??

There should be two hoses IIRC to the backhoe. A supply and a return. And when you take the BH off, you just couple them together and put plugs in the BH side to keep dirt and stuff out.

/ 1965 Ford 4500? #6  
Those old Ford backhoes are tough as nails. I ran a 4500, 550, and 555 for years and dug miles and miles of trenches.

/ 1965 Ford 4500?
I'm still a little bit stumped, Here is a picture of the BH lines. When I picked up he BH I didn't look to see where he split the supply line, I assumed mine was exactly the same. After he took the BH off he used a line to connect the two together and put a plug in the return on the loader frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 863
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 2,130
   / 1965 Ford 4500? #8  
I believe you need a male to male fitting so you can connect the feed and return lines to the tractor. Is that what you are talking about? A regular 3/4" pipe plug can be used to protect the hydraulic hoses when unattached but don't tighten any more than hand.

/ 1965 Ford 4500?
I'm talking about where to split the supply. I don't have the hyd. lines at the back of the tractor for the BH. I figure I'll Tee into the supply and split it again for the BH and run the return back to the loader frame? I really need to get the manual.

/ 1965 Ford 4500? #10  
I thought you had the whole shebang...tractor and backhoe as one unit.