640 Rear Tire - can see the cord.

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #11  
apparently the cords can take care of themselves.

I have a 58 ford 951 with oe tires. the tread on top is smooth, and the sidewalls are dry / crumbly, with flaps the size of your hand buckled up all over it, and many missing.

been running it like that for years.. was like that when I bought it out of texas couple years before katrina..

Is it as bad as mine?

If not, then I would keep running it.

View attachment 297398

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #12  
While doing some winter maintenance on the 640 last weekend I noticed I must have pulled pretty hard on one of the rear tires because I torn off the end of a lug in the middle of the face of the tire. I can now see the cord in that area. The area is about 1" X 1.5". These tires have fluid in them. I've only had this tractor for two years and suspect I did it plowing some old fallow fields last year but who knows, it may have been there when I got it. Not having a lot of experience yet I decided to come here to ask the guys who do. Is this the kind of thing I should fix right away? 12.4 X 28's aren't cheap! Is it the kind of thing I could drive on the farm for years and never have a problem with? This tractor never drives on pavement.

What am I looking at here? Thanks for the help and guidance.

apparently the cords can take care of themselves.

I have a 58 ford 951 with oe tires. the tread on top is smooth, and the sidewalls are dry / crumbly, with flaps the size of your hand buckled up all over it, and many missing.

been running it like that for years.. was like that when I bought it out of texas couple years before katrina..
Location, location ...

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #13  
I would probably get different tires pretty quick. But i operate 1.5 miles from the end of a gravel road and the PITA factor of fixing stuff there is high. Much better for me to fix things before they strand me when i need to be using it.

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #14  
Location, location ...

is true :)

I just plan on running tires till they blow apart then i fix em.. that's why seeing cords doesn't phase me any.

when they go..they get repalced.

I have plenty of tires I've been expecting to go for 10 years.. and some that looked good , no cords and popped a sidewall or seperated a bead and went early.

go figure. :)

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord.
As the OP, I've been paying attention to this thread and I see quite a range of advice here. It looks like it comes down to internal comfort level and circumstances. If the tractor was essential to my way off life and was off line for two weeks I might look at this differently. Based upon the life experiences (with pictures) of some of you folks with tires in even worse shape I think I can lower my anxiety level a bit and approach this in a calm, planned manner. I'm not going to replace it immediately but I am expanding my contacts and sources looking for both new and used ones so I can do this without panic. I have an observation of my life I've used in more recent years as I address cash outlays and decisions, even decisions this seemly small, "95% of the problems I've gotten into in my life were because I was in a hurry." And it sounds like I don't have to hurry on this one, which I'm more comfortable with.

Thanks all.

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #16  
sounds like a good idea. procede with caution.. and keep yer eyes out for a used tire or tire/already on a rim.. etc. snatch it if you find a deal. I buy all used tires / rims I find at good deals. makes changing a flat take 15m not 2 hours. :)