640 Rear Tire - can see the cord.

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #1  

RedDawg

Bronze Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra 5010, 1955 Ford 640
While doing some winter maintenance on the 640 last weekend I noticed I must have pulled pretty hard on one of the rear tires because I torn off the end of a lug in the middle of the face of the tire. I can now see the cord in that area. The area is about 1" X 1.5". These tires have fluid in them. I've only had this tractor for two years and suspect I did it plowing some old fallow fields last year but who knows, it may have been there when I got it. Not having a lot of experience yet I decided to come here to ask the guys who do. Is this the kind of thing I should fix right away? 12.4 X 28's aren't cheap! Is it the kind of thing I could drive on the farm for years and never have a problem with? This tractor never drives on pavement.

What am I looking at here? Thanks for the help and guidance.

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #2  
unless you see a tube poking out.. you are likely fine. these tires are multi layer.. you are likely just thru the first layers with the tire lug gone.

sure.. that spot will be less poke resistant then the rest of the tire. but I have tires wher eit's like that all over and still use them. :)

that tires used to be called an 11-28 that was the vintage designation of what we call a 12.4-28

I still have vintage 10-28 ( 11.2-28 ) and 11-28 ( 12.4-28 ) rubber on some vintage machines. :)

runn it till it becomes a priblem.. THEN fix it. :)

besides.. 1" x 1.5" if it was me and it poked a stick thru.. I'd put a headve double thick farm patch onthe inside of the casing and patch the tube and go. I have a 10-16 front on my 7610s that I ran over a bone or antley and poked a hole my THUMB could pass thru in the tire.

that's been since 2008 :)

I put a 6" farm patch in there that was like 3/8" thick and then a new tube.. .. and yes.. that hole was near the size of a quarter.. :)

still fine.. :)

oh yeah.. tire was a tri-rib.. but is a bald no-rib now..

still runs fine.. :)

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord.
Thanks, SG. I'm learning.

Stay tuned tomorrow for a new thread concerning a question on the 'creative' 12V conversion they did on this thing. It runs great but it won't charge - might have something to do with the fact there is still a 6V voltage regulator in the loop...but I'm doing a current schematic and will post pictures. Time to untangle the rat's nest....

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #4  
many people leave the 6v reg installed, but not hooked up.

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord.
many people leave the 6v reg installed, but not hooked up.

Not in this case. The alternator is going to it. New thread about to be posted. This will be interesting...... :)

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #6  
some people use the bat lug on the old reg as a common wire point.

also.. if it is an old 6v alternator.. it may even be USING the B circuit vreg. many alt and genny vregs are intercompatible to some degree.. :)

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #7  
While doing some winter maintenance on the 640 last weekend I noticed I must have pulled pretty hard on one of the rear tires because I torn off the end of a lug in the middle of the face of the tire. I can now see the cord in that area. The area is about 1" X 1.5". These tires have fluid in them. I've only had this tractor for two years and suspect I did it plowing some old fallow fields last year but who knows, it may have been there when I got it. Not having a lot of experience yet I decided to come here to ask the guys who do. Is this the kind of thing I should fix right away? 12.4 X 28's aren't cheap! Is it the kind of thing I could drive on the farm for years and never have a problem with? This tractor never drives on pavement.

Cover that exposed area with a flexible adhesive. Check whether the tire shop has a good product. Otherwise there is a black Hardman flexible urethane available in ready to mix packets from McMaster Carr. It sticks very well.
larry

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #8  
it't won't do much other than be a semi cosmetic patch.. even potting it with winshield black urethane isn't really going to do very much..

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #9  
It will protect the cords.

/ 640 Rear Tire - can see the cord. #10  

Is it as bad as mine?

If not, then I would keep running it.

IMG_1344.jpg