Bought My Old Ford 2N Back - Needs Work

/ Bought My Old Ford 2N Back - Needs Work #1  

GPintheMitten

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N
Hi Guys,

I originally purchased the 2N about 30 years when I was about 30 years old. It was in good shape. I'll look for old photos (non-digital). It was my first tractor (not that I have had many tractors). It served me pretty well considering it has no live pto, and I had no loader. Then about 10 years ago, my wife and I divorced and we sold it very cheap to our daughter and son-in-law.

He lacked the time and knowledge to maintain it. At first he kept it inside the garage but at some point it was relagated to the backyard, and eventually he couldn't get it to run. I really didn't know that he couldn't start it. Eventually he made a deal with his neighbor to take it, trade out the Sherman transmission in my old tractor for a standard, then get it running for him. In the meantime he said he would keep my sil's drive clear in the winter.

Well, this "deal" was left uncompleted for about 4 years. I asked my SIL if he wanted to sell it. We made a deal and went to liberate it from his neighbor. The neighbor had left it outside the whole time, and had made no progress on it other than to give my SIL's back blade to his brother and swap a good tire and rim from it to his tractor because his had rusted out. But he did plow my SIL's drive a few times over the years.

The thing is a rusted mess. I had this tractor looking really good, had the engine rebuilt and painted the whole thing. Back to square one now.

When I get new electric service run to my barn and get the workshop insulated, I'll start going over it. The neighbor said he couldn't get the engine to turn, but I was able to spin it over by putting it in high gear and pulling it a few feet. The 2N is parked in the barn now.

I purchased the I&T Shop Service manual FO-4. Soon a new chapter will begin.

Looking for advice for first few steps for a tractor that has not run in at least 4 years.

Initially my plans include:

1. Drain and clean gas tank and sediment bowl.
2. Clean carburetor
3. Change engine oil and filter
4. New plugs, points, condenser, plug wires, distributor cap.
5. Check battery and probably replace.

Should I put some lubricant in the cylinders via the spark plug holes?

I know that normally you run the engine enough to heat the oil before draining, but I think I'ld like to get clean oil in there before I try to start it. Maybe I should change the oil and filter while it is 'cold' and then later change it again soon after getting it to run.

/ Bought My Old Ford 2N Back - Needs Work #2  
go ahead and buy a few (5) quarts of cheap atf fluid.

use 1/2 a quart and pour in all 4 cyls.. leave set a few days. put plugs in loosly to keep dirt out. remov eplugs.. roll her over a few times. use the rest of the last quart to refill..

save the other 2 quarts for flushing the engine and rear sump once you get her running.

fram c3 filters cost 4$ or so.. buy 2.

do abn oil change with cheap walmart oil and a filter. add in a quart of atf to the oil.. run it.. then change in an hour.

on the rear sump.. when you do it. dump in that last 2 quart of atf and some diesel, kerosene or mineral spirtts. no more than a gallon.. then run her around the yard.. leave pto off.
after a few lamps.. drain the rear oil.

refill with a utf meeting m2c134 or 90wt gl1/3 gear oil.. or 80w90 gl4/5 gear oil rated for mt1 use or saying yellow metal safe.

yes on cleaning the points or repalcing if needed

here's some oil filter and ignition parts data for you:

Ford 9N, 2N, 8N Oil filters:

Ford Part Number: CPN 6371B 9N-18649, 9N-6714, 9N-2731
Fram C3, C3-P
NAPA Gold 1010
Motorcraft FL 144
Balidwin P40
Big A 92010
Bosch 72127
Carquest 85010
Fleetguard LF574
Wix 51010
Purolater L20110 or L20701
Fleetrite LFR-8574
Texaco HSO-100
Unocal OF 1010
White 10575
Hastings Mighty M3LF-130
Luber-Finer P3

Ford 9-2-8n Front mount distribuitor ignition service:

gap points to .015

Front Mount distributor...
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD-6769X (Premium)
Condensor:
NAPA #FA200
Standard Ignition #FD-71
Rotor:
NAPA #FA300
Standard Ignition #FD-104
Distributor Cap:
NAPA #FA350
Standard Ignition #FD-126

/ Bought My Old Ford 2N Back - Needs Work
Thanks Soundguy. I was hoping you would stop by. I'll follow your advise.

I'll report back when I get nor time to work on it. Ive got a couple of medium size projects going now, but ill get some atf in her soon.

I just moved here in Oct. and am upgrading the piss poor electric service to the barn and getting the workshop setup.

Soundguy, is that a half quart in each cylinder or half quart total for all 4?

/ Bought My Old Ford 2N Back - Needs Work #5  
split a half quart betweenthe 4.. ie.. couple ounces in each.

just lubing the rings.. getting them unstuck..e tc..

don't have to measure it or anything. a calibrated glug-glug is fine. :)

/ Bought My Old Ford 2N Back - Needs Work #6  
I like that, Precision gluging!:laughing:

/ Bought My Old Ford 2N Back - Needs Work #7  
but of course. perfectly fine on 60-70 yr old tech.. ;)

Got it.. glug, glug. I'm a 60 something too. :)