Oil filter help, please

/ Oil filter help, please #1  

glinke

Tractor
Mahindra 4035
When I went to change oil and filter on my 850, I removed the old spin-on filter and went to replace it with a new PH8A filter. It would not screw on. It was like the opening in the filter was too small for the filter base. I checked the filter thread pitch and it matched the base. I grabbed another PH8A filter and tried it. It still wouldn't screw on. At this point, I am starting to doubt my sanity. I check the old filter - no markings of any kind.

I have two questions. Did these tractors originally come with a cartridge filter? Was there another conversion kit that used a filter other than the PH8A? If so, what would be the correct filter for it?

For now, I put the old filter back on. It screwed right on with no issues.

Thanks in advance.

Gayle

/ Oil filter help, please #2  
is the ph8a what you removed? Otherwise, what made you choose that filter? The farm store by me has a fram "industrial application" book that includes tractors, semi's, and other things. My 1070 is listed in it. Check it out online sometime, the fram application site online seems to be down right now. Otherwise go to Napa, they should have a cross-reference for you. Worst case scenario, get one from Deere.

/ Oil filter help, please
The one I removed was white with no visible markings. I have an 1841, also with the 172 engine and it takes the PH8A.

/ Oil filter help, please #4  
ok, so I found another site that had the application guide from fram. It appears the ph8a is for hyd. fluid and has an alternative p7061. The engine oil filter should be a ph3593a, the same as my 1070. Hopefully this helps.

/ Oil filter help, please #5  
ok, so I found another site that had the application guide from fram. It appears the ph8a is for hyd. fluid and has an alternative p7061. The engine oil filter should be a ph3593a, the same as my 1070. Hopefully this helps.

No...the PH8A is the correct ENGINE oil fram filter.

it crosses to a motorcraft FL1A, napa 1515, 1452, etc..

To the OP.. YES.. an 850 would have originally had a cartridge filter a napa 1004 or ch6pl fram.. but would have had a different stem nut and also a canister housing.

it was common to buy the spin on kit with new nut and backing plate and oring. Once the machines went to non sleeved.. they also went to spin on with no conversion kit.

who knows what has been done to your machine in the near 60years since it was built.

determine the thread type of the adapter nut, and gasket diameter and get an oil filter to fit. It's also possible the adapter nut has a bad first thread and the old filter was forced on and cut new threads, and is why it goes on and off easilly.

/ Oil filter help, please
Thanks, Soundguy. I thought sure that it was the right filter. This weekend I will pull the filter and pay closer attention to the threads on the adapter. It looks like the adapter kits are not real expensive so if the threads are messed up and I can't fix them, it won't be a real big deal.

Thanks again!

Gayle

/ Oil filter help, please #7  
I think you can take a filter to an autoparts store and they can verify the center threads, oil ring, and canister size. They will then give you various manufacture options.