Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Soundguy -- thanks for the heads up. Had no idea that would spike the electrical system. I am leaving in 15 minutes or so to go buy the new parts. I am going to put them on tonight come heck or high water because we are getting more snow tomorrow.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #112  
good luck.

just remember.. to check charge.. look at the amp meter or measure voltage at the batery before starting, and after running and with rpms revved over 1200 to ensure alt is running.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Anyone have the single wire Delco-Remy alternator NAPA part # handy? I tried calling NAPA and the guy couldn't figure out what I am looking for while searching his computer. I tried giving him a Delco part # (1100568) and Delco 10SI to try and find it. He didn't seem too interested and I am hoping I can just provide him with the NAPA part #. Searching on Google hasn't turned up an exact part # -- just back and forth on 1 wire and 3 wire. I would prefer to stick with 1 wire since it is what I currently have set up.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #114  
Anyone have the single wire Delco-Remy alternator NAPA part # handy? I tried calling NAPA and the guy couldn't figure out what I am looking for while searching his computer. I tried giving him a Delco part # (1100568) and Delco 10SI to try and find it. He didn't seem too interested and I am hoping I can just provide him with the NAPA part #. Searching on Google hasn't turned up an exact part # -- just back and forth on 1 wire and 3 wire. I would prefer to stick with 1 wire since it is what I currently have set up.

Most parts counter people expect someone to tell them the vehicle they are working on and many have no clue how to look up part numbers. Delco 10SI alternators were used from approximately 1973 to 1985 for many applications. Pick one... 1980 Chevy truck for example.

Found it. The guys at Napa were slow... Advance Auto Parts knew how to find it. Any preference on charging amps? 40... 60?

BTW thanks for the heads up on the Chevy truck -- that was key.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #116  
Found it. The guys at Napa were slow... Advance Auto Parts knew how to find it. Any preference on charging amps? 40... 60?

BTW thanks for the heads up on the Chevy truck -- that was key.

60-70 amps should be about right.

Awesome. This one is 63. $29.99.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #118  
Awesome. This one is 63. $29.99.

I should warn you though, your experience may be different, but I've never had any luck with electrical parts from Advance Auto Parts. Napa is a much better alternative, even if the parts guys are a bit slow. :)

1 step forward and 2 steps back :)

I am typing this from the store. They are having a heck of a time switching the pulleys for me. Glad I'm not doing it. They bare having a hard time finding the 3 pole solenoid... surprising. I thought it was very common.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #120  
it sounded like a non op charge system.

I will caution you on this though.. pulling a bat wire off unloads the electrical system, and is the 2nd fastest way I know to destroy a 40$ alternator. when you unload it.. voltage can go very high till the reg catches it.

17v is not uncommon.

the old.. pull a bat cable trick is unkind....

good luck onthe repair, the starter will appreciate not running continously.

and that is really bad to do on something with a computer