Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Glad the thread is helping Ted.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #132  
Time to go to the junk yard, that's where we found whole pulley sets for custom cars.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Found a pulley at a local alternator/starter/generator builder. We'll see if it does the job. Still need to investigate the non-firing.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #134  
I think you need to get that tune up kit on it as soon as you get it. Does your battery seem to be holding a charge? BTW GM parts on Fords never do work right. That is one reason I am against a 12v conversion.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #135  
Found a pulley at a local alternator/starter/generator builder. We'll see if it does the job. Still need to investigate the non-firing.

I haven't measured it, but the pulley on my MF-135 tractor's generator appears to be about 4" in diameter.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #136  
alt pullies are remove in seconds with a blip of an impact gun.

I'm a day late after working a 12hr shift yesterday.. but for anyone interested.. a napa 213-4011B is a generic 3 wire delco 10si alternator. common clock like I might use on a tractor.. though easy to change...

if your brackets and geometry on the alt mount on a front mount make the belt rub.. install a idler puller at the lower bracket using along bolt and an off the shelf bearing'd pulley..e tc.

Parts arrived. I am going to try and do some trouble shooting before I just start ripping parts off. E.g. why it won't ignite and I'll swap the pulley, too.

img20130227202026.jpg

img20130227202132.jpg

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #138  
I think it is pretty safe to say you need a cap and plug wires.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #139  
Parts arrived. I am going to try and do some trouble shooting before I just start ripping parts off. E.g. why it won't ignite and I'll swap the pulley, too.

When troubleshooting ignition problems, the coil and condenser are usually the first things I check, with the latter being my first suspect. Assuming that the points look alright and that there are no other obvious problems visible.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #140  
I would go ahead and replace everything that came in.