Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Yeah, you guys are right. I will do that. I will start tonight and let you know how far I get. The only thing that scares me is replacing the points.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #142  
why... it's pretty much idiot proof.

so is the timing.. straight edge and measurin stick. 1/4" drill bit helps.

ont hem junk tisco points.. you may find you have to elongate some holes in order to get them to adjust right.. and may have to dink withthe the faces of the breakers so they strike true and flush.

many sets i see, less than half the contacts touch , or are bent. once you dink them in.. they "SHOULD' be ok.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
I think you overestimate my abilities :) I will post back tonight when I dig in. I plan to fix the alternator/pulley issue and replace all of the plug wires while there is still daylight and then bring the distributor/coil in the house and replace the points, condenser, etc. in the warmth of the house. Hopefully later tonight I will have a tractor roaring back to life.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #144  
i imagine you will.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #145  
   / Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #146  
these machines were robust.. and for the most part pretty intuitive to work on.. at least the N series anyway... I think it will turn out fine.

Wires replaced, distributor pulled, I am back inside now. I think I know why the tractor wasn't starting -- when replacing the alternator/pulley the belt slipped off of the fan pulley. Maybe explains it, maybe doesn't. I have the new pulley on and the alternator set up so it isn't hitting the distributor. Pics to follow later. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #148  
keep us posted..

and remember.. tech support is probably available 24/7/365.25 via email ;)

Yarrr. Ran into something else. Looks like a piece of the riveted metal bracket that holds the screw is actually broken in my distributor and was jerry rigged.

Here is a picture of a NORMAL distributor -- not mine! Notice the big brass screw in the middle at the top.
finshed.png

Now here is mine... notice that piece of metal has "snapped" off?
img20130228194909.jpg

And here is what it looked like prior to my disassembly. Looks like it was jerry rigged with a piece of copper that was bent into the same location. The condeser was screwed in to hold the piece of copper in. I think I am goinig to jerry rig it the same way for now and see if it works. It worked before -- all summer, fall, etc., it also looks like it was done a long time ago, so maybe it will work a while longer while I source a used distributor housing.

img20130228191752.jpg

It is always something!

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #150  
:thumbsup:Good eye.