Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #161  
Any updates?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
I was busy with other projects this weekend* -- I am going to go out tonight and swap solenoids. The only wiring "change" I made was take the wires off of the aftermarket push button start button when I thought it was causing the problems with the starter running after the engine starter. Prior to replacing the solenoid I could "hot wire" it by touching the wires together. Now after replacing the solenoid that doesn't work -- it just keeps turning over but not firing. Hopefully swapping solenoids will uncover if the new solenoid is bad or if I made a wiring mistake.

* It being 0 degrees at night and not snowing helped me be busy with other projects inside :)

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #163  
since the solenoid has nothing to do with ignition power.. i'd be looking at wireing...

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #164  
Did you put the tune up kit on it?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Did you put the tune up kit on it?

Yes, plugs wires, cap, condenser, points, etc. It wouldn't fire before and it wouldn't fire now. The last thing I changed was replacing the alternator and solenoid at the same time. Looks like I made a wiring mistake if the solenoid is not the problem. I am getting voltage at the alternator and coil with the key in the off position.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #166  
Yes, plugs wires, cap, condenser, points, etc. It wouldn't fire before and it wouldn't fire now. The last thing I changed was replacing the alternator and solenoid at the same time. Looks like I made a wiring mistake if the solenoid is not the problem. I am getting voltage at the alternator and coil with the key in the off position.

If you have voltage at the coil key off that may explain the burned up coil and distributor.

Last edited:
   / Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #167  

voltage at the coil with key off CLEARLY shows a wire issue.. or a bad key.

voltage at the alternator with key off is 100% normal.

if neither of those were obvious to you.. I'd rewire the entire tractor, point to point, starting from scratch. No offense intended. sometimes dealing with someone elses wireing is too much hassle to trace. best to start fresh. and doing it point to poiunt lets you see the relationships.. and then you can bundle with tape and loom.

I will finally get a chance to work on the tractor tonight. I will let you know what I find. I am hoping to get this resolved soon since we are having warmer weather and I could really use the tractor for hauling logs, moving a shed, etc.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #169  
i'll be on and off the rest of the day. if you hit a snag.. post back.. i'll try to check in naow and then to watch for posts. will help if I can.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #170  
Soundguy, do you have a wiring diagram he can use to re-wire the whole tractor ?