Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
GPintheMitten -- It does have a new coil. Yes, the points opened up and closed the same on all 4 lobes. I heard of one "test" where I can have the key ON and measure the voltage of the coil. If I spin the fan on the front of the engine I should see the voltage drop/change as points open and close. Also/alternatively I can have the spark plugs out and look for voltage as I try to fire the engine.

MasseyWV -- I will stop by an auto parts store today and see if they have a condenser. Worst case scenario is I can drive to a tractor parts store and pick one up.

If testing the coil on the tractor doesn't work I am going to pull the distrib/coil assembly off of the tractor and see if the pigtail for the condenser is grounded anywhere.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #202  
Just a thought, you DID put the rotor back in the distributor, right? I would verify that the rotor turns when you crank the starter with the dist. cap off. Either have someone watching or set up a mirror that you can see the distributor from the seat, if possible.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #203  
GPintheMitten -- It does have a new coil. Yes, the points opened up and closed the same on all 4 lobes. I heard of one "test" where I can have the key ON and measure the voltage of the coil. If I spin the fan on the front of the engine I should see the voltage drop/change as points open and close. Also/alternatively I can have the spark plugs out and look for voltage as I try to fire the engine.

MasseyWV -- I will stop by an auto parts store today and see if they have a condenser. Worst case scenario is I can drive to a tractor parts store and pick one up.

If testing the coil on the tractor doesn't work I am going to pull the distrib/coil assembly off of the tractor and see if the pigtail for the condenser is grounded anywhere.

One other thing that needs to be checked, voltage at the coil + terminal needs to be present during cranking. I believe you said it had a push button start,

2 The condenser pigtail should be terminated with the wire in from the - coil, to the (switching side of the points) the point base should be mounted to the distributor body grounding it.
3 The body of the condenser should be screwed down to base of the distributor grounding its body sounds like you're checking for inadvertant ground of condenser that's a good thing to check.
4 Also you might try what I suggested before, with the cap off the distributor crank the motor over and there should be a small amount of spark from the point contacts when cranking if not it could be #3 above or you've lost voltage during cranking you can do a low tech check of the condenser by removing it, then hook the leads of an ohm meter( one lead to pig tail one to condenser body) on the high ohm scale watch and it should count up from a low resistance up to infinity reverse the leads and it should start low and count up again.. good luck You are getting close to running again.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #204  
What did you do about that broken peice in the distributor?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Thanks sd455dan. I walked through everything I replaced, tested, etc. with an old farmer at work and we determined it *has* to be something in the coil/distributor area.

I am trying to source a condenser locally but I'm not sure if I can pull it off before tonight. People only want to sell the condenser with a new set of points and they happen to be out of stock.

Here is a picture from the night I replaced all of the points, condenser, etc. Notice the metal tab is broken off of the breaker plate -- the previous owner used a thin piece of copper to replicate the part. This is less than ideal and I think he did it a long time ago. I found that they sell these breaker plates on eBay but only kitted out with all of the parts I just replaced. I am going to double check this jerry rig to see if this is causing the problem or if it is the condenser, etc.

img20130228191752.jpg

94BULLITT -- My intent is to leave the jerry rig in place for now but be on the lookout for a new breaker plate. I am stopping at a tractor supply house to buy the condenser after work -- maybe they will have a breaker plate. I am also getting a new set of points with the new condenser... for added cost. They don't sell them separately.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #206  

Massey -- thanks -- I watched that one before I replaced the coil and points. I wish that guy lived down the street so I could buy him a beer or three to help me fix the tractor.

He is the reason why I put the coil on the distributor before putting it back on the tractor.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #209  
Massey -- thanks -- I watched that one before I replaced the coil and points. I wish that guy lived down the street so I could buy him a beer or three to help me fix the tractor.

He is the reason why I put the coil on the distributor before putting it back on the tractor.

I came across that video while looking for pictures of the distributor to compare against yours, just to make sure I hadn't missed anything obvious. Here are a couple of decent links I found that had pictures.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=666480>

http://secretcorners.net/weblog/blo...-ford-distributor-points-and-condenser?blog=2

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #210  
Hi I've been watching for a while, your problem is going to be something simple . So first check your battery terminals to make sure the positive goes to the starter soleniod, next take an old plug wire put it in the top of the coil & hold the other end about 1/4 in. from " A " metal surface ,Insulate your self (leather mit?) now crank the engine with the starter "should spark " If not , take a high amperage (headlamp /fog lamp) & check for power at the coil instead of your volt meter. Volt meter shows voltage but not amperage, in case there is a corroded connection/wire between ignition switch &coil. GOOD LUCK & Be patient ,all this good info you've been getting will get you there & teach you lots :):thumbsup: