Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
thanks Bruce, hopefully your screen name insures my success. By the way, I picked up a new condenser and I'm on my way home. Will check in later tonight with some more testing results.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #212  
I'm looking at the picture of the assembly with the broken tab. Maybe I'm missing something, but why is it there? Nothing should ground that end of the points assembly. If it were me, I would remove it. All it has to do is touch something inside the distributor and you won't get a spark. Or am I wrong? Someone correct me.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #213  
I'm looking at the picture of the assembly with the broken tab. Maybe I'm missing something, but why is it there? Nothing should ground that end of the points assembly. If it were me, I would remove it. All it has to do is touch something inside the distributor and you won't get a spark. Or am I wrong? Someone correct me.

Normally, there should be a metal riser there with an insulated spacer or washer to attach the power wire to. A ribbon of braided wire then connects the power wire to the points.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #214  
OK, I think. But if this piece is still there moving around every time he loosens the nut holding the point spring arm in place, could it be dropping down and hitting the bottom plate, shorting out the points? Power wire is connected to the outside of the dist. and feeds power to the points through the bolt that holds this piece. If it is not properly insulated with the formed nylon or fibre washer, it will touch the bolt and then can become a ground path, no? I still think I would remove it. what the heck, nothing else has worked.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #215  
OK, I think. But if this piece is still there moving around every time he loosens the nut holding the point spring arm in place, could it be dropping down and hitting the bottom plate, shorting out the points? Power wire is connected to the outside of the dist. and feeds power to the points through the bolt that holds this piece. If it is not properly insulated with the formed nylon or fibre washer, it will touch the bolt and then can become a ground path, no? I still think I would remove it. what the heck, nothing else has worked.

It's possible, but I doubt that the copper strip (makeshift repair) is the source of the OP's problem. When I responded to your question, I was referring to the way it should be, not the way it currently is.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #216  
Right, but since it is there and since it is broken why not get it out of there and eliminate the potential problem? The problem has to have a simple solution. All of the hard solutions have been suggested.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #217  
The problem has to have a simple solution.

Most problems of this nature usually end up being caused by something very simple. The trick is finding it, which requires careful step by step troubleshooting.... a process of elimination. Fortunately, there are only a few things it could be.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Eddie, it was like this for a long time and I don't think it is the problem now. The coil would normally touch a brass screw that is linked to the points... in this case it is touching copper that leads to the same place. So in theory it should work and it did for a long time. Hopefully I did/can get it working the same.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #219  
your changing to many parts at one time.

agreed.

to the op.

you can;t have sparks unless the engien spins.

so get the starter working.

it's simple.

the relay either works or doesn't

test with a bat on your bench.

that starter switch either works or doesn't.. test with a meter.

once you have her turning over.. go to ignition.

you are working on this like an IBM technician back in the mainframe days.

start on one side and repalce everything till you find the problem.

not good....

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #220  
MasseyWV -- it just hit me. You are describing the connection from the mounting plate to the distributor that completes the ground from the fixed portion of the points to the engine, right? That's where the woven copper piece goes, so it can flex as the mounting plate turns back and forth with adjustment or timing advance. If so, I don't think that part is connected to the thru bolt that supplies power to the points??