Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Thanks for the quick reply.

1. Are you sure you have spark? I did when I tested ~ 2 days ago on one spark plug. Now that the tractor is on my property and close to my house I will remove all 4 spark plugs tomorrow night and give it a go.

2. Does the tractor original style fuel shut off in the tank? If so all that it is probably stopped up (in the tank) with crud like you have in the filter. It has the original glass "bowl". I could understand that the gas tank could plug up but there was plenty of gas pouring out of the fuel line and even out of the carb when it was attached.

3. Has the tractor been sitting for a along period? No, I used it Thursday night and then it died in it's current state after running for ~30 minutes on Friday. Prior to that I used it for about an hour on Tuesday. I have used it once a week or every 2 weeks for the past few months.

4. Does it have good compression on all cylinders? I do not know. I was just pricing compression testing kits and they look pretty expensive. Any way to do an informal test? If there was an Autozone close by I would try to borrow one of their tools but I only have other stores around me and I believe they do not have 'loaner' tools.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #23  
There is a shut off in the tank. When you are operating the tractor the fuel will slosh around and trash could be clogging it at times.

So it was running fine thursday then it died and won't restart?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Ran but stumbled on Thursday. Ran for ~30 minutes then died. Couldn't restart. Charged battery and tried again on Friday. Ran for ~30 minutes and then died again.

I had issues when under a heavy load of snow where the engine would start stumbling for a few minutes -- like it was going to stall. Put the clutch in, messed with the throttle, etc. but nothing seemed to work. Time seemed to be the best fix -- 2 to 3 minutes and it would pick back up.

I didn't realize there was a shut off in the tank -- I knew there was one in the glass bowl. Besides draining and removing the fuel tank is there any way to check the tank for debris? I shined a flashlight in there and didn't see anything alarming, but then again you can't see much.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #25  
Ran but stumbled on Thursday. Ran for ~30 minutes then died. Couldn't restart. Charged battery and tried again on Friday. Ran for ~30 minutes and then died again.

I had issues when under a heavy load of snow where the engine would start stumbling for a few minutes -- like it was going to stall. Put the clutch in, messed with the throttle, etc. but nothing seemed to work. Time seemed to be the best fix -- 2 to 3 minutes and it would pick back up.

I didn't realize there was a shut off in the tank -- I knew there was one in the glass bowl. Besides draining and removing the fuel tank is there any way to check the tank for debris? I shined a flashlight in there and didn't see anything alarming, but then again you can't see much.

You will have to drain the tank to check the sediment bulb on clean it.
Here is a link to a Sediment bulb at TSC. Notice the screen where it screws in the tank.Ford Sediment Bulb Assembly - 0236986 | Tractor Supply Company It does not take much for them to get stopped up. Notice on the knob it says main 2 turns open and reserve is full open.

Hold up on the compression test.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #26  
so far unless spark is dismal.. I'm hearing a fuel issue.

might be fuel and spark.

1, as stated.. that is a dash resistor.. not a rectifier.

check spark on all plugs. needs to be fat and bluish white. if it is red, yellow or orange and will not jump a gap at least as wide as center electrode to side of plug.. it is weak.

get spark handled before doing fuel.

gas running out of the carb as soon as you start cranking is making me think improper flaot setting.. heavy / stuck float or dirty needle / seat.. and or choke stuck partially closed.

dunk the float in a glass of hot water.. if there are micro bubbles from the floats.. it has a pinhole. the warm water warms the air and makes it expell... etc.

that's alotta battery charging for not alot of worl. a car battery should run an N for a couple days. you sure the battery is good?

the non safety switch may get you or someone else hurt or killed. I reccomend going back to an oem trans mounted safety interlock starter and correct 3 terminal solenoid.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #27  
ps.. the very presence of a scabbed on inline fuel filter on a ford that already has 3 filters raises a red flag for me...

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #28  
1, as stated.. that is a dash resistor.. not a rectifier..

Sorry I mispoke in my earlier post concerning the ballast resistor/rectifier......must have been a senior moment.

I know you all have said that my sediment bowl/filter on the gas tank could be clogged, but wouldn't that not be an issue because all of the gas coming out last night? E.g. with the carb off and I open the dial on the fuel shut off 2 turns, or fully out, fuel started to pour out of the fuel line. Even with the carb hooked up fuel was coming out.

I am going to try and find Autolite 437's locally. NAPA didn't have them and the guy at Tractor Supply looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about carb gaskets and spark plugs. The auto store "parts plus" is next.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #30  
I know you all have said that my sediment bowl/filter on the gas tank could be clogged, but wouldn't that not be an issue because all of the gas coming out last night? E.g. with the carb off and I open the dial on the fuel shut off 2 turns, or fully out, fuel started to pour out of the fuel line. Even with the carb hooked up fuel was coming out.

I am going to try and find Autolite 437's locally. NAPA didn't have them and the guy at Tractor Supply looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about carb gaskets and spark plugs. The auto store "parts plus" is next.

The red flag for me is the inline filter someone added. You have to have dirt in your tank for that much stuff to be in the filter. The sediment bowl may not be causing your starting problem but that may be your cutting out. Once you are running the tractor all of that stuff is going to slosh around in the tank.

Don't forget to gap the plugs to .025" and put dielectric grease on the wires.