Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #371  
You probably should run a compression test before we go farther

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Will do. Hopefully picking up the tool today from my coworker. I also brought the new alternator with me so I can get it tested at the auto parts store. Hopefully if it is faulty they will just swap it out.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Got the compression tools. Will let you know how it goes.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #374  
Mention of lean and the response when adjusting carbureator valve jets might warrant a check on manifold gasket or crack??:confused:

From an old saying you might want to check the rad cap!:(

Well, I think I know what is wrong with the alternator. It is a 3 wire. The previous *non-working* alternator was a 3 wire as well -- just hooked up as a 1 wire. So I guess Since I bought the tractor in July the battery was never charging while it was running. Looks like I get to wire this up now and at least I will get lower RPM charging.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #376  
Well, I think I know what is wrong with the alternator. It is a 3 wire. The previous *non-working* alternator was a 3 wire as well -- just hooked up as a 1 wire. So I guess Since I bought the tractor in July the battery was never charging while it was running. Looks like I get to wire this up now and at least I will get lower RPM charging.

So the old alt may have been ok.

Yeah :mad:

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #378  
while it's rare to see a non rebuildable carb.. i did have one on a 600 that i rebuilt 3 times.. would not run right.. put a different one on and it was fine.

not that I'm saying yours is ready for that..e tc...

the sputering is puzzeling.

hold a piece of paper to the tailpipe when it is running and see if it sucks it up to the tail pipe.

also try that tug of choke at sputter

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #379  
paper to the tailpipe when it is running and see if it sucks it up to the tail pipe?
SG what would that mean? bad valves?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #380  
yep.. exhaust particularly.. likely burnt.. etc