Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 313839404142434451 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions

lets hope not.

it could be a good tractor for somebody.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Default Re: Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions

Well we have not heard anything in 5 days. I guess no news is good news.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

we can only hope.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    N/A

Sorry guys, still alive. I missed one of the new comment "emails" and since I haven't been back to the website I didn't get an alert for any more comments. Too funny about the "set it on fire" comment -- if it wasn't running it would be tempting.

So I have used the tractor a little bit and it runs OK but still has the "miss".

Your favorite "mechanic" is coming by tonight with the carb from his working 8N to test on my tractor. I will keep you posted of the results.

In other news, I was talking to a buddy at work who worked his way through college way back in the day, 30+ years ago, as a mechanic. He still fixes up older cars for fun. I was telling him about the tractor and he told me he didn't think I have a carb problem but that I still have an electrical problem. His point was since it is "missing" at idle and still missing at high RPM it most likely isn't a fuel problem. He was saying that often at idle you aren't using much fuel so it isn't missing but when you open up the throttle and need to use more fuel that is when it starts to miss. Makes sense when he mentions it -- I have a consistent miss. I'm not sure what is left in the electrical system that could be causing it, however.
    Last edited by PorkChopsMmm; 04-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    1/4" drill bit stem.. even a dull or broke one.. makes a great gauge..
    Soundguy -- I am having a hard time figuring out what tool you mean to use. Can you let me know another name for the tool or have a picture?

Tractor
    1957 Ford 860

I think he means that you turn the drill bit on it's side and use the thickness of the bit:1/4 in, as a large size feeler gauge

Silver Member
    Tractor
    N/A

That makes a lot more sense, thanks, another kind soul pointed that out to me. I thought he was recommended a tool to help with the compression test.

Sno
    Tractor
    Ford 640

Sounds too lean or timing too advanced or a plug wire. I'd watch it run at night and look for sparks you shouldn't see, check again for air leaks ( does carb fit perfectly flat on manifold and is gasket good, is throttle shaft leaking air, etc). I don't know anything about timing on these, so I'd be interested in hearing from someone who does. Thank you all as I have appreciated reading this thread and am learning a lot.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by Sno View Post
    Sounds too lean or timing too advanced or a plug wire. I'd watch it run at night and look for sparks you shouldn't see, check again for air leaks ( does carb fit perfectly flat on manifold and is gasket good, is throttle shaft leaking air, etc). I don't know anything about timing on these, so I'd be interested in hearing from someone who does. Thank you all as I have appreciated reading this thread and am learning a lot.
    His mechanic was jacking on the timing while it was running so who knows where it is now.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Silver Member
    Tractor
    N/A

We put the new carb on last night and it did not make a difference. I swapped the #3 and #4 plug wires just to see what that would sound like and it sounded worse and completely different. I checked out the wires last night and I don't see where wires could be shorting out and I have run it at night with no sparks or light showing from the wires. The carb was sealed tightly to the manifold, there were no cracks in the manifold, and the muffler was still putting out lots of pressure.

I am going to borrow a compression tester that should fit under the gas tank. So next steps are to check the compression with the right tester and see what that looks like. Hopefully that will reveal the issue. I think in the near future I will pick up a new wiring harness and re-wire the tractor when I wire up the 3 wire alternator.

Thanks guys. I should get the compression tester in the next few days so I should have an update by the weekend.

Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 313839404142434451 ... LastLast