Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
I posted some older pictures of the first time I pulled the carb apart. Still waiting on the compression tester.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #422  
Thanks Soundguy for the quick summary.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Quick update. Reminded the "mechanic" today to leave the compression tester for me -- he is going to do that today or tomorrow.

In other news, I used the tractor to pull a drag down my dirt driveway and our unmaintained dirt road. Worked well enough but I think the compression tester is going to reveal that at least one cylinder isn't firing. The tractor/engine is vibrating A LOT, which correct me if I am wrong, means that it isn't balanced correctly? Possibly indicating a cylinder isn't firing right? Also, it is very down on power.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #424  
pulling the plug wires one a t a time will probbaly till you if one of the lungs ain't fireing...

just sayin...

Thanks Sound guy, I will try that again. Will also record a video -- I know how much you like them :)

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #426  
pulling the plug wires one a t a time will probbaly till you if one of the lungs ain't fireing...

just sayin...

Is the valve clearance is adjustable on an 8n, or does it have hydraulic lifters, if he is real lucky and no valve or seat damage yet?? Assuming the compression #s are nailed down... Also no broken or stuck rings, assuming he does have a low cylinder..Just hoping for a simple fix, PorkChopsMmm you are making progress :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Picking up the compression tester tonight. I built a carry all, pictures below, and loaded up some fencing materials for use on Sunday. I ran the tractor on Friday night with pulling a drag down our dirt road, ran it Saturday to pick up and move the carry all, and when I went to use it on Sunday the tractor wouldn't start! Has blue spark at every plug, has gas flow, and it will turn over just fine but not ignite. I am ready to get rid of this thing.

I will be testing compression tonight and will let you know how it goes.

img20130406180809.jpg

img20130406194109.jpg

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #428  
post a pic of that front hub/wheel...

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #429  
Soundguy -- of the front wheel assembly of the tractor? Don't tell me something else is broken. OK, I will take a pic or two tonight.