Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
94Bullit -- the "mechanic" used a 1/4" piece of bar stock to set the float so it should be good. I don't think it is flooded -- the spark plugs did not smell strongly of gas, weren't wet, etc. Even if it was flooded on Sunday when I went to use the tractor would it still be flooded went I tried to start it before my compression tests last night?

BTW While it was resting I always had the key off and fuel shut off -- so fuel wouldn't be draining from the tank into the carb.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
could the exaust be causing a vapor lock and that is why it is shutting off

Wouldn't vaporlock only occur if the engine was running and producing heat? As it sits right now I can't get it to start.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #443  
Vapor lock- generally refers to the fuel boiling due to heat exceeding the boiling temperature of the fuel, (the liquid fuel vaporizes) if it happens in a fuel pump the fuel won't pump and it becomes (vapor locked) common on 50s 60s and 70s engines at least that's the way I remember it...
having the older front wheels is no big deal (unless you are doing a period correct restoration) they hold air, turn smoothly-bearings ok , right - on my sisters 8n the REAR wheels and tire treads didn't match and that tractor didn't seem to mind:)

Last edited:
   / Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #444  
yep.. wheels won't matter. same hubs fit either spindle....

as for the no start... not even on start fluid?

even if a lil lean it should bang off.

I will start to research flight costs for whoever wants to come and visit.

I put an ad on Craigslist for an 8N mechanic. No replies yet.

I think I am going to pull the distributor and double check the timing with a ruler. That is the only thing I know to do at this point.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #446  
ditto on double checking the timing. it should stil make a go at it even with timing off.. but NEVER hurts to check..and double check spark..e tc..

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #447  
The timing probably is off since the mechanic was turning on it while it was running.

Thanks guys. I will check the timing but that still baffles me on how it would work one day and not the next, despite having gas and spark -- plus starting fluid. I wish this was parked in a covered area and not just tarped -- it is pouring rain right now and is supposed to for the rest of the week.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #449  
if it ran when parked.. it's surely not timing...

spark, air, compression, fuel.. all atthe right time.. and it should pop and run.

i'd say frozen air cleaner.. but mouth to carb was open at time of start attempt.

i'd RE check spark at the plugs..

Soundguy -- I am using a 5th spark plug to pop off the spark plug wire and test -- that's what you saw in the video. Would you remove each spark plug and physically test each one that way? It's weird -- it was firing just fine for over 2 weeks and just died.

So I mentioned my post on Craigslist looking for a mechanic. Here is the only reply I have gotten so far...

"BALLAST RESISTOR/ UNDER HOOD BEHIND DASH".

That's it.