Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #451  
If you have gas pouring out the carb it is flooded.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #452  
sure.. test the plugs you are using...

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
94, the gas only came out of the carb when I stopped trying to turn over the tractor and was pumping the choke. Is this not normal? It's basically happened since I have had the tractor. Same behavior despite carb rebuilds and replacing the float.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #454  
over choke will produce some gas to leak out as liquid.

as long as it stops leaking out the flaot is USUALLY ok.. also as long as you can get fuel flow from drain on carb when fuel is on..e tc.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Yeah, the fuel flow stops a second or two after I stop turning over the tractor. This only has happened when I haven't been able to get the tractor to start -- e.g. I am trying to choke the junk out of the tractor.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #456  
that's likely flooding her out..

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #457  
Pork chop:

I have followed this thread since the beginning. I want you to bear in mind that all I know about 8n's is from hours behind the wheel of my grandfather's old red and gray working in the hay fields. For mechanical knowledge it is hard to beat Soundguy. Now with that said the generally transient nature of this is bothersome. This is in general only, not specific to the breed.
1. Have you checked the fuel tank for something like a piece of rag? Oldest trick in the book for making a machinery operator's life a living ****.
2. The transient nature and the stumble, down on power makes me wonder about the spark advance, is it fully advancing the timing, could it be sticking partially advanced, they will never start there, but will throw a dandy spark.
3. Seems like unless something came loose in the distributor it is unlikely to be static timing, otherwise why would it have run, then quit? Makes no sense.
4. Finally vacuum leaks, there may be a warp in the intake casting that will sometimes close enough to make er run, then open to the point that it runs so lean it cannot start.

This maybe of no use at all, but I must hand it to you for your perseverance. I would have bought another machine and parked that one with a for sale sign long ago. Grandpa's tractor was occasionally cantankerous, but when it ran all the time, it was old reliable. It is still in the family, my older brother has it awaiting his retirement and a chance to rebuild it, although it is in pretty good shape for a 61 year old machine. Best of luck and I will continue to lurk on the thread.

Thanks for the kind feedback. Believe me, if I had the money to burn this thing would be long gone, but I try to be thrifty and work with what I have.

Its pouring outside right now so I'm not out working on the tractor. I think first order of business is to verify that I am getting spark at all 4 plugs with the existing, new, Autolite 437 plugs. If I am, then I will pop the distributor off and check the timing.

Question -- if the tractor is flooding out is there a way to try and stop the flooding or a troubleshooting tip? I am just trying to start her with a little choke, which has worked in the past, nothing crazy. I would be surprised if she is flooding out from starting because that would mean something else is causing the problem -- even when the tractor was "missing" she would start right up.

BTW, people have asked. I am 1 hour north of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I am going to try and post something in the Classifieds of this forum for mechanical help. If anyone lives nearby please contact me. Money, beer, and shooting on our acreage can be provided.

EDIT: Can't post in classifieds, not a dealer. Obummer.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #460  
if the plugs did gas foul.. you can clean and re-use them with a lil shot of carb cleaner.. then allow to dry.

won't hurt to check the mechanical advance. might have long screws..e tc..