Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #41  
Thanks 94BULLIT.

I will get her out plowing tomorrow and see how she performs. If I get stuck on the side of the road again I am going to cry! :hissyfit:

Your welcome. Maybe you should get AAA for it.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
OK, didn't plow as expected because of warmer weather. I ran into the same issues this past weekend and now the heat is on because we have gotten quite a bit of snow with more to come tonight.

In a nutshell, despite it firing up after cleaning the carb, and running for about 5 minutes this weekend, I am still having the same issues. Almost igniting but never quite getting there. Keeps trying to turn over. I got it started easily this weekend and when I started to plow snow it starting sputtering and stalling under very little load within 5 minutes of start up. I got it started again and it died the same way.

It looked like it wasn't getting fuel through the add-on non OEM filter so I...
- removed the add-on inline filter
- removed the sediment bowl and drained the gas... no debris found in sediment bowl, screen, or screen in the tank
- checked the gas tank for debris... seems OK
- installed NEW sediment bowl assembly
- checked to see if gas was pouring out of fuel line when the sediment bowl was turned twice...YES
- cleaned out screen on carb fuel inlet again, it was fine

I am not sure what else to check. Amp meter still is jumping back between 0 and -5 amps. I would replace the spark plugs if I had a wrench that could get them out... the fuel tank being so close is hard.

Attached are some pics and hopefully a video... notice the stuttering of trying to start up.

img20130219215524d.jpg

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #43  
Did you take the fuel line off at the carb and have a good stream coming out?

Pull the air cleaner pipe off and try some starting fluid in the carb and see if it will run? If it does you have a fuel problem.

Are you sure you don't have any crossed plug wires?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #44  
Hi It sounds like no fuel, you could try using a gas can with a siphon hose attached on that rubber joint on your gas line with clean gas and bypassing filters this will tell if the problem is in the tank or filters. be sure the siphon line is full when you attach it. not the safest method but should work . be careful

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #45  
Have you changed the distributor cap....they can have small cracks that can be difficult to see with the naked eye. To run for a bit and then stop as the engine gets warm produces a little moisture on the distributor cap....the plug wires could be bad too....good luck

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #46  
This is starting to sound like water in the fuel, has it rained while the tractor was out? water sometimes can ruin fuel, normally you can see it but there have been occasions where it doesn't just separate after sitting - usually it has a cloudy look to it if drained into a container... Just a thought

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Did you take the fuel line off at the carb and have a good stream coming out?
Yes, it was pouring steadily without any slowdowns, dribbles, etc.

Pull the air cleaner pipe off and try some starting fluid in the carb and see if it will run? If it does you have a fuel problem.
Good call. I didn't use starting fluid last night because it wasn't nearby. I will try some today.

Are you sure you don't have any crossed plug wires?
Whenever I have taken then off I have only done so one at a time just for this very reason. They are also numbered.

Hi It sounds like no fuel, you could try using a gas can with a siphon hose attached on that rubber joint on your gas line with clean gas and bypassing filters this will tell if the problem is in the tank or filters. be sure the siphon line is full when you attach it. not the safest method but should work . be careful
I would try this but I don't think I have a siphon line I could use. If I had surgical tubing or something laying around I would but I don't think I have a good way of getting gas to the fuel line from a gas can. Thank you.

Have you changed the distributor cap....they can have small cracks that can be difficult to see with the naked eye. To run for a bit and then stop as the engine gets warm produces a little moisture on the distributor cap....the plug wires could be bad too....good luck
I have not changed the distributor cap -- with a front mount 8N is that the assembly that holds the points? We are snowed in now and I don't have an easy way of going out and buying one. I plan on un-bolting the distributor/cap assembly and taking it inside for pictures. That will need to be an in hour or two.

I am starting to wonder if it even is a fuel issue -- I mean I have fuel coming out at the carb, the carb is cleaned, and the tractor is trying to ignite but seems to stop. The amp meter is moving from 0 to -5 (looks like small 'bumps' because the next marked increment on the meter is -10) and when I tested the spark plugs a week ago they were "firing" off/on/off/on. So it all looks good. I am perplexed by what else it could be?

I am trying to start this with a wide open throttle. While attempting to start if I moved the throttle lever a little I somethings get a different reaction with firing, although it never does fully start up.

This is starting to sound like water in the fuel, has it rained while the tractor was out? water sometimes can ruin fuel, normally you can see it but there have been occasions where it doesn't just separate after sitting - usually it has a cloudy look to it if drained into a container... Just a thought

I wish it was water in the fuel but don't think it is. I drained the tank last night and filled it with fresh gas from the gas station. The fuel I did remove is in a clear container and did not have water in it. It has rained but I keep the gas tank/steering wheel/shifter/seat area covered with a new tarp also -- I don't want water to get into my transmission/hydraulic fluid.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #49  
first.. I see a non op charge system. that alt must be wired wrong or bad if it is not charging.

2, have you tested to see if you have fuel thru the carb bowl drain?

3, if it starts, then stalls, you may be icing the inside of the carb.. take some aluminum foil and make a heat riser using the carb and manifold.

4, double check she is making sparks. if so.. it's fuel or compression.

compression is easy to check.. testers are about 20$ at harbor freight.

first.. I see a non op charge system. that alt must be wired wrong or bad if it is not charging.
I think it is charging but trying to turn it over for so long is just draining the battery down. It was ~15 degrees last night and the battery did well for close to an hour of trying to get the engine to fire, tweaking, etc.

2, have you tested to see if you have fuel thru the carb bowl drain?
I didn't pull the drain plug but will today, thanks for the reminder. Just as before I had some gas coming out of the air inlet on the carb when I stopped cranking the engine.

3, if it starts, then stalls, you may be icing the inside of the carb.. take some aluminum foil and make a heat riser using the carb and manifold.
Is this due to outside temperature or something else? I ask because it wasn't that cold last night but just a month ago I was running the tractor at -10 degrees without any problem.

4, double check she is making sparks. if so.. it's fuel or compression.

compression is easy to check.. testers are about 20$ at harbor freight.
I should pick one of these up. Unfortunately I am stuck here for a little bit.

BTW any tips for removing spark plugs with normal hand tools? I don't have the specifically angled 8N spark plug wrench.