Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #511  
an exhaust side leakl doesn't specifically mena a vac leak.. however..

IF you can put the fuel screw all the way in and she runs.. i still say carb has an issue..

I agree, plus I am questionable about the distributor to.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Don't use starting fluid, carb cleaner, or anything like that. They have a low flash point.

What should I use if not one of those?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #513  
I've always used carb cleaner, but not starting ether. Remember spray the intake, not the exhaust manifold. Leaks there don't matter for what you are looking for. If there is a leak, the engine speed and sound will change when you hit it with the cleaner -- acts like extra fuel.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #514  
many people use an unlit propane torch turned up full blast.

intake and exhaust are 1 mono unit on an N

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #515  
many people use an unlit propane torch turned up full blast.

intake and exhaust are 1 mono unit on an N

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
OK, used carb cleaner and sprayed all around the manifold -- no change in engine speed or sputtering. Sprayed it where the carb meets the manifold -- bingo -- engine smoothed out. I've got a new gasket on there but one of the bolts that comes out of the carb is stripped, or slightly stripped. The nut will thread on but you can never tighten it -- it keeps unthreading itself. Anyone know if this bolt can be taken out and replaced? I have also heard of taking some copper stranded wire and tightening the nut down with a little wire wound around the bolt will usually allow it to be tightened. Thoughts?

Before I do any of this I will take the carb off and make sure the manifold surface is clean and flat.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #517  
Gee, Who would of thunk it?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #518  
i've been mention vacume leak for dozens of pages.. go figure.

find out what is stripped. stud or carb or nut.

if nut or stud. simply repalce.

if it's the carb that is stripped.. you can get creative with a stud made from a longe rbolt shank and a nut.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #519  
i've been mention vacume leak for dozens of pages.. go figure.

find out what is stripped. stud or carb or nut.

if nut or stud. simply repalce.

if it's the carb that is stripped.. you can get creative with a stud made from a longe rbolt shank and a nut.

I think he had more than one problem. Hopefully this cures the rest of it. Good job all.

What's interesting/frustrating is that there is no movement of the carb or there doesn't appear to be any gap where the leak is. What's also interesting is it ran the same way with the "mechanic's" carb -- but we were able to tighten his nuts and bolts down well. I wonder if there is a piece of gasket material on there that I missed or couldn't see.

I will try to post a before/after video when I have the chance to work on it -- most likely tomorrow night.

Thanks guys.