Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 64653545556
    Tractor
    8N Ford

Default Re: Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions

Hey PorkChops haven't heard from you in awhile, how's the 8N running?

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Default Re: Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions

I just unburied this thread to see how this turned out. Well?
    Murph ------------

Silver Member
    Tractor
    N/A

Hey guys! Working well. The miss is near gone... I think it may even go mostly away when warm. I let a 75 year old neighbor borrow it last weekend while I was out of town and he ran it hard for 3 days. She worked great for him and is still working great for me. Here are some pictures of using it just this weekend to put in fencing -- really just using the carry all. Despite all of her problems she has always had strong hydraulics (I also changed the fluid this past Fall to get any water out). I've had it parked for 2 days using the carry all as a work bench -- hasn't dropped perceptively at all.

Almost forgot -- I pulled a stump with it last week, too. It took quite a few pulls but she came out.

I think this chapter is closed on the tractor for now. I still need to wire up the alternator -- I think I will do that and replace the wiring harness when I paint the tractor later this summer. I won't be doing a full rebuild or anything, just trying to clean her up a bit.

Thanks again for all of the help -- I feel like I learned tons of info and can speak intelligently about how to fix a carb'd tractor with points.

Tractor
    Kubota B2620, Ford 2N

Glad to hear it. Enjoy.

Tractor
    Ford 8N

Just bought a Ford 8N and am in way over my head... Wish I could go back in time...
    Anyway, same problem as the original poster but I know nothing about tractors so off to buy some books...

Hello from the great white north...

RF

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by Northinator View Post
    Just bought a Ford 8N and am in way over my head... Wish I could go back in time...
    Anyway, same problem as the original poster but I know nothing about tractors so off to buy some books...

Hello from the great white north...

RF
    Welcome. i see you are a new poster. If you are having dome problems with your machine go ahead and start a new thread and lets get working on it.
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Tractor
    ford 8n 1952

An interesting and fascinating read! Also a little scary given my current situation with a 52 8N...and I have just started the process of getting it started! I was given the tractor when I bought my father in laws house. It had run fine up until a year ago (maybe a bit more). Unfortunately, a neighbour figured it wouldn't start because of the carb, so he took the carb off, dismantled the thing, got confused and promptly gave up! I did clean it and rebuild it with a kit, but the couldn't find much in the way of directions so wasn't any farther ahead. I ended up buying a new one and installing it. Replaced the battery, changed the oil, replaced the sediment bowl assembly (cleaned out the tank first), put in new spark plugs and figured I would be good to go. Turned over great but wouldn't fire. I figured the next place to look was the points but won't have a chance to get back to it for a couple of weeks as I also have a boat to deal with that needs to be hauled out soon. Anyway, great thread and the information in here will no doubt be a big help!

Dave
    Last edited by nodders; 10-16-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

good luck!
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 64653545556