Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
first.. I see a non op charge system. that alt must be wired wrong or bad if it is not charging.
I think it is charging but trying to turn it over for so long is just draining the battery down. It was ~15 degrees last night and the battery did well for close to an hour of trying to get the engine to fire, tweaking, etc.

2, have you tested to see if you have fuel thru the carb bowl drain?
I didn't pull the drain plug but will today, thanks for the reminder. Just as before I had some gas coming out of the air inlet on the carb when I stopped cranking the engine.

3, if it starts, then stalls, you may be icing the inside of the carb.. take some aluminum foil and make a heat riser using the carb and manifold.
Is this due to outside temperature or something else? I ask because it wasn't that cold last night but just a month ago I was running the tractor at -10 degrees without any problem.

4, double check she is making sparks. if so.. it's fuel or compression.

compression is easy to check.. testers are about 20$ at harbor freight.
I should pick one of these up. Unfortunately I am stuck here for a little bit.

BTW any tips for removing spark plugs with normal hand tools? I don't have the specifically angled 8N spark plug wrench.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #52  
if the ammeter is bouncing NEGATIVE.. she is not charging when running.. Or YOU HAVE IT WIRED way WRONG.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #53  
A REGULAR PLAIN JANE SPARK PLUG SOCKET WILL WORK.

EVEN BETTER ARE THE ONES WITH WRENCH FLATS ON THE Top lets you use a wrench on the socket, not a socket wrench..

( caps.. mistake.. darn tablet.. grrr.. )

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #54  
Once you get it running you can stick a volt meter on the battery and see if it is charging.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Good call 94Bullitt.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #56  
Have you replaced the spark plug wires? If they are several years old, it will make a big difference. Bad wires and the moisture from the snow certainly could be diminishing your spark.

OK, this is getting annoying. I went out to start the tractor and I think the battery was completely dead. Not too surprising since I was cranking it a lot last night, even though I was jumping it at the time. The battery is charging now. I know, I know, the battery should be lasting longer but I even had a generator battery die in the last 2 weeks and it runs for ~3 hours a day.

In other news, I replaced the spark plugs with new ones gapped at .025. The old ones had blackened ends and smelled faintly of gas -- non of them were dripping gas or anything.

I also pulled the drain plug on the carb and opened up the fuel valve -- there was a steady stream of fuel.

I removed the distributor cover and inside it appeared dry. No fluid or burns or anything. I could get the left hand bolt (when viewing the distributor from the front of the tractor) off but couldn't locate the right hand bolt. I need to review a diagram.

Edit for picture... Autolite 437's and they look like they were gapped correctly:
img20130220114644.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #58  
So you are going to charge the battery and then try using starting fluid? Is the tractor in where it is warm?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #59  
.25 gap will never get it started. besides.. bending the gap past about 3/32 gets you nothing as the electrode can arc over to the base.

.025 is the plug gap

So you are going to charge the battery and then try using starting fluid? Is the tractor in where it is warm?
Yes, charge the battery and then starting fluid. I sprayed the starting fluid into the carb and then realized the tractor wouldn't start. No :( this is all outside in the cold and snow.

.25 gap will never get it started. besides.. bending the gap past about 3/32 gets you nothing as the electrode can arc over to the base.

.025 is the plug gap
My bad, mistype. They are at .025.

I edited my last post for a picture of the plugs. Thank you for all of the continued help.