8n kingpin Bushing Question

/ 8n kingpin Bushing Question #1  

calh22554

Tractor
ford 8n
Hi All,

i'm new on the site - first post. Been reading a few threads and am amazed at the knowledge out here. So I have a late 1950 8n (my first tractor) and I'm in the throws of rebuilding it. I discovered the front axle bearings were shot, as well as the spindle bushings and thrust bearings (both sides). I assume the kingpin bushing is in the same condition, but I can't find anywhere how to test it. I have the FO-4 Manual and it describes how to change it, but doesn't say how to test it. Anybody know? With the front end off the ground, I can move the axle up and down a bit - so is this play normal or is the Kingpin bushing worn?

/ 8n kingpin Bushing Question #2  
Welcome to the forum.

Put your hands a t 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and shake the wheel with tractor jacked up and properly supported.

/ 8n kingpin Bushing Question #3  
that will test the hubs more than the front kingpin.

can the front axle tip forward?

can the entire front axle move up or down mor ethan 3/8" when the tractor is jacked?

/ 8n kingpin Bushing Question #4  
It will test them both you have to watch and see were the play is.

/ 8n kingpin Bushing Question #5  
Almost like testing ball joints?

/ 8n kingpin Bushing Question
So that's what I did when I tested the hubs - they moved in and out and the spindles moved up and down - more than I thought they should. When I took the hub and the spindles out - yes, the bearings were disintegrated. The Axle moves up and down too - about a 1/2 inch to 3/8 of an inch. I can't seem to get it to tip forward or back, but it most certainly moves up and down and makes me think the kingpin bushing is worn out. However - just not sure if there should be some play in the axle or no up and down movement at all?

Maybe movement is closer to 3/8 - not 1/2". Let's say between 1/4 and 3/8. Should there be any movement in there?

/ 8n kingpin Bushing Question #8  
there must be a little clearance from the kingpin thru the bushing.. just not excessive.

generally you can visually inspec the kingpin and bushing from looking down at the front bolster thru the fan and fromt he front with the grill removed.

this isn't a micrometer measurement.. you can eyeball this one. the fact the axle is not leaning forward is good.

Thanks guys! Appreciate it