Tranny swap

/ Tranny swap #1  

jeff pk

Silver Member
Tractor
1960 Ford 641 1957 Ford 860
I just bought an 881 in good condition except for an iffy select-o-speed transmission. What I'm thinking of doing is swapping out the 5 speed tranny from my 860, and then parting out the 860---taking the wheel/tires for the 881. The engine on the 881 seems stronger, and there's better body-metal and a nice loader with power steering. Anyone done the trans swap before? Can one person do it alone (I don't have anyone to assist). Any reasons why I should try to keep the S-O-S, which doesn't work in all gears, and seems way too complicated for someone with my limited expertise.

Thanks...

/ Tranny swap #3  
I am no means a ford person but have read here and there that very few can actually work on those S.O.S.'s with success if that helps.

Now are they actually transferable is another question. But wait, there is a keen Ford guy(SOUNDGUY) that'll probably chime in.

/ Tranny swap
I am no means a ford person but have read here and there that very few can actually work on those S.O.S.'s with success if that helps.

Now are they actually transferable is another question. But wait, there is a keen Ford guy(SOUNDGUY) that'll probably chime in.

The S-O-S has a bad reputation. There are a number of adjustments that I'm going to try, and also I'll put new fluid in to see if that helps. I've gotten a lot of help from Soundguy before and am curious to hear his opinion of the transmission...

/ Tranny swap
i would just swap the engine

I like everything about the 881 except the transmission. The lift works better, the body's cleaner, there's a loader, power steering, engine's more HP, overall condition is better, and it has a tool-box in front of the footrest. So just swapping the engine would be wasting the rest of the tractor. If I can get the S-O-S to properly function I might just use it as is for awhile.

/ Tranny swap #6  
On our '66 5000 Ford the S.O.S. broke in '84 and the parts cost more than the tractor was worth. I bought the neighbors Gas 5000 with the 4 x 2 trans and swapped our diesel onto his tranny. Hardest part was swapping the ring gears on the flywheel.

/ Tranny swap #7  
I like everything about the 881 except the transmission. The lift works better, the body's cleaner, there's a loader, power steering, engine's more HP, overall condition is better, and it has a tool-box in front of the footrest. So just swapping the engine would be wasting the rest of the tractor. If I can get the S-O-S to properly function I might just use it as is for awhile.

you can run thrut the maint on the sos.. filter..adjustments..e tc.. it will work or not.

otherwise.. i agree with whodat.

swap the engine.. that will take the ps as well over.

if you like.. swap the tin.

if you like the hyds on the 881.

swap the top cover and pump. :)

that keeps you with a tranny with a rear end ratio the same.

/ Tranny swap
Thanks Soundguy. I guess it's asking too much to drive the 881's 2 speed PTO off the 5 speed trans. Too bad...

I'll see how the S-O-S shakes out.

Do you know if the filter on the s-o-s is replaceable or is cleanable? I read somewhere that they don't make them anymore.

/ Tranny swap #9  
Tranny Swap???? Is this a show on TLC????

/ Tranny swap #10  
the pto will have to match the trans.

so far I'm seeing a full engine swap with ps attached ( steer box as well )

and a hydro top cover and or hydro pump swap too.

all in all.. not a ton of work.

the hydro stull is a hour job.

the steering box will be an easy job to do by simply ummating front of tractor at trans.. adding flywheel and clutch and then putting them together.. ie.. mate front half of sos machine to trans of gear machine.

ps goes with it.. including pump... manifold for pump is from gear machine.. etc.. and you get the ?better? tins fromt he sos.. just remov ethe pto cable..e tc.. and swap dash cowlings from between hood side pieces.