8n rear break drums

/ 8n rear break drums #1  

calh22554

Tractor
ford 8n
OK, so anybody have any tips on how to get the 4 screws out of the rear break drums so I can pull them off? Wow are they stuck - almost have to drill them out? but want to check before doing so.

/ 8n rear break drums #2  
impact screwdriver works fine usually.. the kind with the big blade tip and the head to smak to turn it.
if you don't have one? got an impact gun? adapt up a screwdriver head for it.

rememebr to hit the fasteners with some penetrant. also helps sometimes to put a large screwdriver head into them and what with a hammer a bit.

if nothing helps.. penetrant..e tc. put a lil gas axe on them.. then quench with penetrant oil and try it.

all else fails.. just drill em out.. they serve no real purpose past the assembly line anyway...

/ 8n rear break drums
Soundguy - your ideas worked well... I got most of them off with a good impact driver and penetrant oil/heat. However I did have to drill 2 of them out. Either way - task complete! Thanks. I had grease leaking out the axel and when I took the axle out, it's obvious the seals are worn/shot. How do you punch out the inner oil seal that's in the wheel side of the "Trumpet" or the axle?

/ 8n rear break drums #4  
one of the best writups I've found is from a real nice guy that I've gotten tons of parts and advice from over the years.. John smith.

note he will refer to a fo-4 service manual.. and I suggest geting one.

8N Maintenance and Repairs

/ 8n rear break drums #5  
I used John's site to replace my seals and brake shoes also to convert to 12v. John probable has know idea how many people he's helped over the years but it's appreciated.

/ 8n rear break drums
His site is fantastic... thanks for that info! i do have the FO manual, but i just don't see how to get that inner seal out... it seems pressed in really tight and I don't see how to punch it out. Maybe I just hit on one side to get it to tilt out? I just don't want to start hammering on things without knowing more. Anybody punch these inner seals out? How did you do it? If i could get in from the back it would be simple

/ 8n rear break drums #7  
I'm no help on the inner seal mine is a 49 and doesn't have the inner seal.

/ 8n rear break drums #8  
Harbor Freight item 91352 - Best $10.00 you'll ever spend. Hook the thumb behind the seal and hammer it out. Tap one side and then move to the other, walks the seal out every time.

HFSealPuller.jpg

/ 8n rear break drums #9  
yep.. hooked rod to snatch it .. etc..

/ 8n rear break drums
Oh this is perfect!! Thanks. Found out my hubs are worn-out, so need new set - they were so loose they wobbled. Also, I've got the strangest thing going on with the front left Axle spindle. I took the spindle out and had to have a shop remove the bushing with a torch - but now I can't get the new bushings in - allmost like there are still a set of bushings in there, but I saw the ones they cut out. On the right side of the tractor - no problems - I replaced those easy and everything fit nice. According the the FO they are the same busing size on right and left side. What am I missing?