Serial # can't be right, wrong location, & pls help me w/trans cover wire...

/ Serial # can't be right, wrong location, & pls help me w/trans cover wire... #1  

bennevis

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 800, Ford 841D, Ford 841D Loader/backhoe, Ford 881D, Ford 851L, Farmall Super H
881 004.jpg881 002.jpgHi everyone,

I need a little (LOT) of help on my tractor projects and you guys are the #1 source! Ok, already owning an 841D, I have learned the serial numbers are sometimes destroyed by battery acid (mine was). So, once I come across an 881 (runs nicely) -after a couple (or more) PM's to SoundGuy, I snatched it up. It has two new back tires, (13X28's), I got the set up for the price of a new tire.

I soon realized I was in trouble, because all of my manuals, handbooks, references etc... - they all stop right BEFORE this model! Now, I have several reasons to believe this could be a selecto-speed that was replaced because the number under the seat is CONN501. Different numbers on the sides. And the front axle engine support is definitely different than mine.

On top of all this...I am not sure I follow the wiring. (a bit of a mess). The is no voltage regulator at all - keyed switch to under dash starter. It also obviously has the wrong alternator (which had it's wires blown off by an over zealous helper at the car-wash)...

SO far, it runs great - but the rest of the stuff has me confused - I'm not sure exactly what this is. (One picture does appear to have a large weld near the R rear axle. Any help with any or ALL would be a BIG help!!!079 (2).jpg010.jpg020.jpg040.jpg048.jpg054.jpg062.jpg068.jpg
Oh! Sorry to leave off the only serial number I could find. Instead of behind the starter on the driver's left, it was stamped on the right! The serial number reads to me to be 10463, which is not right. I wonder if a number was left off??

Last edited:
   / Serial # can't be right, wrong location, & pls help me w/trans cover wire...
030.jpg033.jpg036.jpg060.jpg069.jpg042.jpg044.jpg045.jpgI forgot to add the front engine support, it seems to be bigger? Maybe a later model? And then the crazy power-steering! I thought it was off a row crop, but it has a The P.S. works pretty darn well, but it could use some tweaking & I don't know what it is off of. (Although I did read Eaton somewhere...). Any help - big thanks!013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg027.jpg028.jpg029.jpg

View attachment 306434View attachment 306435View attachment 306436View attachment 306437View attachment 306438View attachment 306439View attachment 306440View attachment 306441I forgot to add the front engine support, it seems to be bigger? Maybe a later model? And then the crazy power-steering! I thought it was off a row crop, but it has a rotary valve on the column. The P.S. works pretty darn well, but it could use some tweaking & I don't know what it is off of. (Although I did read Eaton somewhere...). Any help - big thanks!View attachment 306428View attachment 306429View attachment 306430View attachment 306431View attachment 306432View attachment 306433

/ Serial # can't be right, wrong location, & pls help me w/trans cover wire... #4  
is the steering box a standard steering box.. or does it have the PS block in it with lines off of it? non oe setups many times use a valv en cyl or use the arms to actuate a valve.

the diesels generally ate the sn off the bellhousing.. not uncommon to see that.

no vreg needed for a gm 10si style alternator.

i'm mobile right now and can't make much out of the pics due to size.

if someone else can see the front bolster and other pics better I'll leave them to comment.

as for the sos and wireing. I'm no real help there.

general wireing.. and the alt.. that won't be a problem.

/ Serial # can't be right, wrong location, & pls help me w/trans cover wire... #5  
Your steering is the same as on my 4000 forklift, and the front bolster looks the same as the one on my 4000 industrial.

The cylinder needs rebuilt - but it works fine. Is your cylinder really, really close to the radius arm? I'd like to see your set-up!

/ Serial # can't be right, wrong location, & pls help me w/trans cover wire... #7  
This is the best pic I have of it rite now till I can take another one

image-540055636.jpg

It's really odd (and I don't think I have any god photos tonight), but no standard box. It has a PS block w/ lines from pump & linesout to cylinder.

On the serial number - there IS one, but it is on the opposite side (same location).

I will check out the wiring for the GM alt. (isn't tht used in a lot of conversions)?

The front is different for certain. I think maybe early 70's?

I am guessing on this one, but I think the SOS wire is intended for the indicator light right above throttle - not certain...

I'm still a little nervous on the wireing, but I know where to look for the info!

I had one pic of the PS valve, not a great pic, but maybe you can make it out.070.jpg

/ Serial # can't be right, wrong location, & pls help me w/trans cover wire... #10  
the industrial bolster could be from late 50's thru 65.. etc..

the gm 10si is a common alt.

if it is the 3 wire.. #2 loops to charge stud.. #1 goes thru an indicator lamp like a 194 or similar and hooks to switched side of ignition. a diode could be used.. 1a 50piv minimum.. though more is better.. cathode (stripe ) toward #1

this provides ignition isolation...