1982 Ford F 1200 clutch questions

/ 1982 Ford F 1200 clutch questions #1  

chazdo2

Bronze Member
Tractor
walk behing power drive 21
I have to replace a clutch in this tractor. I have a CD I downloaded from the internet but it leaves a lot to be desired. Anybody got any tips or tricks or a readers digest version on how to change it? Im a fairly good mechanic and have done car clutches before.

/ 1982 Ford F 1200 clutch questions #2  
you might ask inthe regular ford/NH section.. vs the vintage section.. this is the place you might ask for clutch help on say a 56 vs an 86 :)

I'm not familiar with your machine.

is it a straight gear trans? anything weird?.

if not.. just block the front axle.. find a flat spot to work.. crib the front end.. get a floor jack unde rhte rear with some wood between it.

split and roll it back till you can access the clutch.

while at it.. check input shaft seal on the trans input shaft. they are usually cheap.. and no better time to check it.

slso lets you use the input shaft as an alignment tool for the new clutch.

when you go back together.. don't force it and try to use the bolts to crunch it in.. let it slip in and then you will be able to feel if it is engaging smoothly.

again.. this is a good time to accesss if you have a rea main leak .. and if it needs attention.

/ 1982 Ford F 1200 clutch questions
you might ask inthe regular ford/NH section.. vs the vintage section.. this is the place you might ask for clutch help on say a 56 vs an 86 :)

I'm not familiar with your machine.

is it a straight gear trans? anything weird?.

if not.. just block the front axle.. find a flat spot to work.. crib the front end.. get a floor jack unde rhte rear with some wood between it.

split and roll it back till you can access the clutch.

while at it.. check input shaft seal on the trans input shaft. they are usually cheap.. and no better time to check it.

slso lets you use the input shaft as an alignment tool for the new clutch.

when you go back together.. don't force it and try to use the bolts to crunch it in.. let it slip in and then you will be able to feel if it is engaging smoothly.

again.. this is a good time to accesss if you have a rea main leak .. and if it needs attention.

Thanks

/ 1982 Ford F 1200 clutch questions
Is the input shaft difficult to get out? I have no leak back there and would like to just use an alignment tool which I cant find anywhere.

/ 1982 Ford F 1200 clutch questions #5  
i've nver worked on your model. but on older fords the input shaft is an easy removal. easy seal repalcement.. etc.

I'd never split one and NOT replace a 5$ seal.. etc.