Special hyd oil for '39-'52 Ford 2N,9N,8N?

/ Special hyd oil for '39-'52 Ford 2N,9N,8N? #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
I'm in the process of rebuilding the hyd pump and lift cylinder on my "inherited" 9N. I bought a great video from Yesterday's Tractor's (thanks, Soundguy..) that details the whole process. Well, at the end of the video; the older fellow makes a strong point about the "specific" hyd oil that Ford Ferguson tractor's require. He stated that you should look for the certification that the oil meets the requirements for Ford tractors built from 1939-1952.

When I swapped out the pto shaft a couple of years back; I changed out the hyd oil. It said Ford on it and JD and MF and a couple of others...looked good to me! I been using it - but, the 3pt surges under a load and it will sag and drop in a blink! So, it's time for a work-over.

But...he says it should list Ford's '39-'52 on the can.

Went to Wally's today. They had some Rotella and some Hi-Tech (IIRC). The specs on both were nearly identical. No mention of '39-'52 Fords, though... ;)

Am I lookin' for something that I've already found...?

Thanks.

AKfish

/ Special hyd oil for '39-'52 Ford 2N,9N,8N? #2  
IF you truly are rebuilding the lift cyl and pump.. then you should be fine with any utf that meets the m2c134 spec. if you are just taking it apart and repalcing a gasket and oring or 2.. then go with a 90wt gl1 or gl3 gear oil or an 80w90 gl4/5 gear oil that is also MT1 spec, and states it is safe for yellow safe.

tsc in some areas sells an oil thet is likely a 90wt gl3 and is branded for ford trannies 39-52 etc

/ Special hyd oil for '39-'52 Ford 2N,9N,8N?
I'm rebuilding it. Replacing the lift cylinder with the NAA one (actually the piston). The guys in the video show a rebuilt 3pt with a gin pole attached to another tractor and the front end off the ground - stays that way with the engine off.

That sold me!

Gonna go thru the pump, too. New pressure relief valve, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. (Shoulda bought the Rotella..)

AKfish

Last edited:
   / Special hyd oil for '39-'52 Ford 2N,9N,8N? #4  
when I rebuilt my first N hyds I went from a N that would drop a box blade tot he ground in about 10-15 seconds... and would not pick up 500# in a dirt scoop.. went to holding a heacy dual ganged 6.5' disc in the air and it did not hit the ground untill the 3rd day.

does wonders when they don't leak and can pump good.

/ Special hyd oil for '39-'52 Ford 2N,9N,8N?
when I rebuilt my first N hyds I went from a N that would drop a box blade tot he ground in about 10-15 seconds... and would not pick up 500# in a dirt scoop.. went to holding a heacy dual ganged 6.5' disc in the air and it did not hit the ground untill the 3rd day.

does wonders when they don't leak and can pump good.

I'm really lookin' forward to having that kind of performance! Applying fertilizer last year with a 600lb spreader was a "pucker" exercise every day! Not fun... at all. Just bought a 55 gallon sprayer that I'm planning to use with it, too. Yesterday's emailed me today explaining that the part's are coming from several different locations and to not expect everything in one shipment.

That's just fine.. I've waited 9 months to get workin' on it and I won't really need it until about the end of May.

The tractor has the split, 2-speed Hi-Lo tranny so, it's a great machine for light duty chores.

AKfish

/ Special hyd oil for '39-'52 Ford 2N,9N,8N? #6  
IF you truly are rebuilding the lift cyl and pump.. then you should be fine with any utf that meets the m2c134 spec. if you are just taking it apart and repalcing a gasket and oring or 2.. then go with a 90wt gl1 or gl3 gear oil or an 80w90 gl4/5 gear oil that is also MT1 spec, and states it is safe for yellow safe.

tsc in some areas sells an oil thet is likely a 90wt gl3 and is branded for ford trannies 39-52 etc

Very good real-world advise there.