Ford row crop

/ Ford row crop #1  

Varmint1

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 1010, JD 970, Farmall Super A,Komatsu D20A-5,Ford 4500,Ford 4000 forklift,Ford 640 w/703 loader
Went to one of my buddy's yesterday to pickup a few parts and in his driveway he has a wide frontend row crop. He doesn't know the motor condition or the condition of the rest of the tractor, he says it has the Sherman step up/step down trans in it. So what's the thing worth?

image-2038280759.jpg

image-480663961.jpg

/ Ford row crop #2  
well, lets see.. it's a 941 with a sherman combo probbaly.. and it's still on a genny.

I see a ps pump and cyl. I also see a missing manifold and carb, ad air cleaner and battery box.

tires are rough.

at this point.. I'd say it's a 500$ machine.

at a minimum you will be dumping 500$ into it just to get the hard parts minus tires to even make it crank and run.

rears might be serviceable if aired...woops .. scratch that. right rear is ok.. left rear has popped a bead. that's a dead tire.

down here in fl.. 2 fronts and a rear is gonna set you back 600$ them front rims look rouch.. may not be salvagable. new fronts will set you back 150$ used.. a lil less..

it has no headlamps.. just dinged shells... if power steering is bad. .. just pull it.. will cost you mor e than it's worth to fix.

so far on retally.. IF her engine runs as is... and you just put tires and them parts on her.. you will have 1100-1300$ in her. no guess onthe power steering.. though you could jus strip it off nd the wheels will still turn with a home made draglink.

that's getting close tot 'totaling' her value wise :)

I've bought rowcrops inthe 1500$ range and had them running for 2000$ etc.

if it's a tinker project and he has plenty of the spare parts and used tires laying around and he didn't pay much for the carcas and she does run. you might get a buck or 2 profit out of her .

If you restored her to show room quality I can see sinking 4000$ into her easilly... and she woon't be worth that.

on the plus side. for scrapping her out.

you have a 400$ trans.

you have a 200-700$ sherman...

you have a 150-250$ rear end.

you have a 100-150$ single sector rowcrop steering box

you got maybee 350$ of tins

you got 150$ of rear rims and center... if they were oe power adjust.. a lil more...

block? depends..

front setting bolster and pedistal.. maybee 150-250$.. depends.

hyds section and pump 250$.. has a valve on it.. might be ok.. looks rusty..

depending on the 3pt hitch parts inthe rear.. might have 100-250$ worth of sought after rowcrop 3pt stuff.. hangers and such..

/ Ford row crop
I forgot to mention its a diesel and he has all the parts that's not on there, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, air intake pipe and battery box. He started stripping her to part out, yes the left rear is shot and so is the fronts. I think I'm gunna pay what he is asking for it, he also has a running 851 diesel for 1200

/ Ford row crop #4  
i hope he's not asking much.

as she sets.. she's gonna take a lotta $$ to make her walk again.

/ Ford row crop
I went Sunday to my buddy's and purchased the 941 and some other parts. Got home with the ol' girl and started checking her over, removed the starter and used my pry bar to try and spin the engine, but no luck. With my brothers help we removed the tin work and made our way down to the head and removed it, number 2 and 3 cylinders had rust from sitting. We sprayed kroil in the cylinders and I tapped on the pistons and the old engine broke free. Drained the old oil and replaced before we did anything else, then we proceed to reinstall the head and associated parts. I really didn't want to ruin the starter so I had my brother pull me with another tractor, made sure I got oil pressure before trying to start the engine. He pulled me around but I was getting nothing from injector lines so with a little Internet search I found that it wasn't that hard to tear into the pump. Got the IP off and proceed to tear it apart and clean and inspect, finally reassembled it and reinstalled, again with the chain starter I began getting fuel out of the lines I tightened the nuts and with a little more pulling the ol' girl started up, but the rings on number 2 cylinder are stuck. All in all the ol' machine ain't in to bad of shape!

/ Ford row crop #6  
put some atf with a lil diesel mixed in down all the holes and let them set.

/ Ford row crop
This tractor has external remotes but looks as if someone machined down the block and and tapped and added another valve?

image-2150015095.jpg

image-3844051674.jpg

/ Ford row crop #8  
wow... instad of a PB plate and putting under the blank cover.. they boogered it up good. :)