Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change!

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change! #1  

Jchampiii

Tractor
1960 Ford 971 Select O Speed Powermaster
We recently acquired a 1960 Ford 971 diesel select o speed. We have just rebuilt the diesel motor and now are working our way back to the sos. First of all, the tractor barely ran we we got it due to a failing fuel pump. Now that that's fixed we can focus on the transmission. First thing we did was drain the tranny. While draining we found 6 metal pieces in the bottom. Before we go and split the tractor we would like to know what we're looking for. Since the tractor is a 1960 model, it should have a filter-less system and only a screen at the bottom but we have both. So now we are unsure of whether we have a over running clutch model or a direct drive model. Should I be able to move the selector from park with the tractor off? We found that the safety wire had been cut and the safety switch was activated so it was in park all the time. Maybe this is why the previous owner said it locked up in him?

2013-05-06 11.35.46.jpg

2013-05-06 11.36.44.jpg

Last edited:
   / Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change! #2  
what are the numbers cast on your trans. does it have the later sequence.. or the early one starting wth 3....

i'm far from an sos expert ( far from an expert on anything! ).. but generically.. those look like roller holders from a bearing cage.

i know that didn't help any..e tc.

probably get more help on this over on the ytmag 'ford' forum. there are 2-3 guys that are real sos guru's.

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change! #3  
Definitely a bearing cage shouldn't be hard to find where it came from once you tear into it.

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change! #4  
No SOS expert but when our 5000 SOS tranny failed the parts to repair it was more than the tractor was worth and this was in in 84. I wish you the best on getting it up and running.

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change! #5  
that's the problems with sos trannies.

it can be a 25 cent or 2500$ repair.

considering the tractors I play with are in the 2500$ value range. I have so far tried to avoid the sos.. etc..

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change!
Our SOS is the earlier on with the number starting with 3. We just split the tractor into thirds to tear down the SOS. It is a bearing retainer. We aren't hesitating trying to fix the SOS since the tractor when we bought it was in near parade condition. Since we brought the tractor home we have completely rebuilt the 172 diesel and have in stalled a wide front end. The input shaft looks to be in good shape although we are still going to get it fixed from John over at Smiths Old Ford Tractors. We can spin the input shaft and it still seems very smooth. So I am hopeful that it is easy to fix. We bought the tractor for 1200 dollars, came with crop row and wide front end. It is a 1960 Ford 971 Diesel SOS.

Here are some pics...

First two are the day we brought it home.

2013-04-15 19.25.21.jpg

2013-04-15 18.38.13.jpg

Engine all done!!

2013-04-28 22.59.46.jpg

2013-04-29 19.30.19.jpg

Ready to work on the SOS!

2013-05-07 22.51.47.jpg

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change! #7  
john does a bang up good job on those input shafts.

since we know it is a bearing part.. it should be pretty easy to locate. the fac tthat it isn't an SOS specific part is good.. so far.

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change! #8  
interesting engine stand. i just may have to copy that some time. :)

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change!
Yea my father designed and built it. It worked well. We were able just to slide the engine away from the SOS and then pull the rear end away with no problem. There is a cross member that is snug up to the bottom of the oil pan. Since there are no frame to motor mounts by the SOS we just needed the support to take the load off the front frame to engine bolts. Worked out very well. It'll the an easy assembly. I'll be updating as we progress.

Thanks!

/ Help identify metal pieces found in select o speed fluid change! #10  
I like the way the front end grew wider once you got it home. ;)