Need help identifying this problem...

/ Need help identifying this problem... #1  

SmallTownCraftsman

Tractor
2021 Kubota L2501
I have a 1950 8N that I an repainting. Admittedly, I am no mechanic and I have never done anything like this before. I have parts mostly stripped off and I am prepping for the paint job. Today I noticed water leaking from the engine block. I have attached a picture. It was not leaking before, but I think I must have done it while stripping paint. It was pretty rusty. Anyway, could someone please tell me what that little round thing is in the engine block (there are four of them). Is this a major repair or something a novice like myself could do? Any guidance would be appreciated.

IMG_0294.jpg

/ Need help identifying this problem... #2  
freeze plug,, knock it out and replace it.. on that model it's time.. Lou

/ Need help identifying this problem...
Thanks Lou. I appreciate your helpful response.

/ Need help identifying this problem... #4  
Just to help you out, they're call Welch Plugs and there is somewhat of a technique for installing them.

The objective is to flatten the Welch plug so that it spreads out and jams in the hole:
1. Ensure the plug receptacle in the block is squeaky clean.
2. Coat the block with Loc-Tite and insert the plug. Permatex Form-A-Gasket #1 is a suitable alternate.
3. Use two ball peen hammers - One as a buck to achieve a flat hammer strike.
4. The edges of an installed plug may be staked to improve retention.
5. Again, the goal should be an installed plug that is visually flat.
6. Use brass Welch plugs if you can find them. They are 1 3/16" diameter.

While you're at it, it's a fair bet the other plugs are in the same state of rusting out - So may as well do all of them.

BIGflattened-in-block.jpg

Correct

InstalledIncorrectly.jpg

Incorrect

Thanks Dollar Bill! With my very limited mechanical experience, those are just the kind on instructions I need. I guess I will go ahead and change them all while I am at it. At the risk of sounding dumb, what do you mean when you say, "plug may be staked to improve retention.?" I'm not familiar with the staked reference.

/ Need help identifying this problem... #6  
core plug. 2$ napa.

poke a screwdrive thru it with a hammer. twist and pop it out.

clean hole with steel wool after draining water down past hole.

then clean hole with a green scrubby.. then a solvent like carb cleaner or alcohol. let dry.

apply permatex #2 tot he hole ID, and the plug OG, set the plug then peen it to dimple in place.

5 minte job if ya are slow.

/ Need help identifying this problem... #7  
didn't see DB had ya covered.

he gave ya good info.

/ Need help identifying this problem... #8  
"what do you mean when you say, "plug may be staked to improve retention"

Occasionally, you come across a hole where rust has eroded the plug receptacle to the point of not holding the plug after it's installed.

Staking in this case means to slightly expand the area adjacent to the mating surface of the plug with a prick punch (envision a row of dots all around the edge of the plug). This will reduce the clearance between the block and plug thereby increasing tension to retain the Welch plug in place.

That clears that up, DB. Thanks for everything guys. I think I can handle that repair.

/ Need help identifying this problem... #10  
another trick is to clean the hole ID, and then get out your plumbers torch set and solver solder and acid flux and add some solder around the id. do it like sweating copper. it will wet and spread a small film around the hole. polish the id of that and you can get some more retention out of it too. Heck.. i've seen people solder in a brass plug that would not hold due to so much rust pitting. not my choice of repairs. but better than a junked block mind you. there are other more drastic optons too.. but you probbaly wo't even need to stake...