New Member low power Ford 9n

/ New Member low power Ford 9n #1  

Rhague

Tractor
Ford 9N
I have rewired the tractor and put in new points and condenser. The tractor has been feeling low on power since I bought it and thought weak spark could be the problem. I now have it all back together and it seems even worse. The first thing I thought, is that I messed up the gap on the points and may have caused my own problems. Any one have an ideas of where to start on this one? The pasture is getting out of control and I need to get this old gem up tot the task of cutting grass! HELP ME!!!!!
Respectfully .......... at a loss!

/ New Member low power Ford 9n #2  
Welcome to TractorByNet. :tractor:

/ New Member low power Ford 9n #3  
Have you done a compression test since you bought it? That's a great test, it can tell you a lot about the engine...

/ New Member low power Ford 9n
No but you are now the second to bring that up. I guess I will be doing that real soon! hahaha thank you for responding.

/ New Member low power Ford 9n #5  
a comp test sure won't hurt. and if you or a friend has the tester.. i'd sure do it.

otherwise.

check spark. if spark is good. move on to fuel..

does it start easy? when you rev it does it stumble?

if it starts easy and no stumbling and no popping thru exhaust.. but bogs under load, even with more thorttle.. .. then deffinately comp test it.

post back

/ New Member low power Ford 9n
Starting harder now then before I "Fixed it" LOL and it is stumbling a little. It definitely had more power before I worked on it. Could the points setting have anything to do with it? I am an idiot and did the points and condenser without taking them off the tractor. Clearly should have Google that one before doing it! So the points may not be exactly right.

/ New Member low power Ford 9n #7  
uh.. i would even have wasted the time asking this question online.. I'd have snatched that 2-bolt dizzy off the tractor and check point gap.

once you do that. get back to us.

stumbling could be a couple things... but if you have not properly serviced the points. no need to further troubleshoot.