861 Manifold replacement

/ 861 Manifold replacement #1  

Cbrown9064

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 861
Hi!

Just wanted to post a couple pics of the replacement manifold for anyone's future reference. I had broken the original manifold and looked for a replacement. It appears (communicated with Soundguy on this also) that there is only one replacement manifold being sold today. It looks like the Tisco version, even though it may be made by others also.

This manifold is a bear to get the nuts on, as the intake is "raised" up instead of being straight across. This makes access to the middle two nuts very difficult.

I got replacement nuts from Wegners when I ordered the manifold. These brass nuts were sized appropriately (for a 1/2" stud) and took a 11/16" wrench. But the original nuts were slightly undersized and took a 5/8" wrench.

Because of the way the "new" manifold is designed, I had to use the original nuts on the middle two studs, and get a special 5/8" X 3/8" drive universal joint socket to tighten them. I had a u-joint on a regular socket, but it would not clear the manifold. I did not have a 11/16" u-joint socket and at $17 a crack, I decided to put the smaller nuts on the middle two studs.

Also, the replacement manifold covers both the 600 and 800 series tractors. So the carb mounting point is both for "big" and "small" carbs. I ordered a 5 pack of the correct carb to manifold gaskets, and good thing, as the new manifold shipped withe the small gasket. Just watch out for that.

Regarding the replacment elbow and new muffler, they are sized exactly the same. Which causes the muffler not to want to go on to the elbow. Forcing the mufler on is what caused me to break the original manifold. I dont know why I didnt think of it before, but I took the muffler in to town to the muffler shop and had then expand the inlet a touch. Perfect! And at $3, cheaper than buying an expansion tool.

I did buy the new muffler "kit" for vertical exhaust. This is made by Stanley Muffler and sold by Tractor Parts Express (among others). However, the way the pipe is bent, it will not clear the hood in a vertical position. Too short sideways. So, I re-used the bracket that was on the tractor along with the previous outlet pipe. Don't see a reference to a bracket like this in the parts catalog, so dont know where it came from, but it works.

Anyway, thought I would write this up in the hopes it could save others trouble.
Chris

2013-05-30 12.50.23.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-05-30 12.50.33.jpg
    2013-05-30 12.50.33.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 1,054
   / 861 Manifold replacement #2  
I just did that job too on an 881. My issue was the second stud on the left was too close to the manifold and my socket wouldn't go on the nut. I ended up grinding the socket down so that it was thiner and it worked fine. The middle two nuts I used an open ended wrench from below; with the carb off it was easy. Since I used brass nuts, I didn't bother torquing them down---just good and snug. Also put a new muffler and exhaust pipe on and had no issue with the elbow being the same size---mine was just right. I found that the brackets used on a chain-link fence (found at Home-Depot) worked perfectly for mounting the exhaust pipe too.

/ 861 Manifold replacement #3  
another thing you can do is slot a muffler with a die grinder and then resize the tabs a bit with a hammer and anvil with a taper nose.

gotta love the 'universal fit parts.

I had to cut n make a tool for my nutz :)

glad ya got it on.

/ 861 Manifold replacement #4  
I have that same bracket on an 881, I thought it was home-made & plan to make one for 841. I couldn't find it in the parts catalog either. Maybe off a newer model?
Hi!

Just wanted to post a couple pics of the replacement manifold for anyone's future reference. I had broken the original manifold and looked for a replacement. It appears (communicated with Soundguy on this also) that there is only one replacement manifold being sold today. It looks like the Tisco version, even though it may be made by others also.

This manifold is a bear to get the nuts on, as the intake is "raised" up instead of being straight across. This makes access to the middle two nuts very difficult.

I got replacement nuts from Wegners when I ordered the manifold. These brass nuts were sized appropriately (for a 1/2" stud) and took a 11/16" wrench. But the original nuts were slightly undersized and took a 5/8" wrench.

Because of the way the "new" manifold is designed, I had to use the original nuts on the middle two studs, and get a special 5/8" X 3/8" drive universal joint socket to tighten them. I had a u-joint on a regular socket, but it would not clear the manifold. I did not have a 11/16" u-joint socket and at $17 a crack, I decided to put the smaller nuts on the middle two studs.

Also, the replacement manifold covers both the 600 and 800 series tractors. So the carb mounting point is both for "big" and "small" carbs. I ordered a 5 pack of the correct carb to manifold gaskets, and good thing, as the new manifold shipped withe the small gasket. Just watch out for that.

Regarding the replacment elbow and new muffler, they are sized exactly the same. Which causes the muffler not to want to go on to the elbow. Forcing the mufler on is what caused me to break the original manifold. I dont know why I didnt think of it before, but I took the muffler in to town to the muffler shop and had then expand the inlet a touch. Perfect! And at $3, cheaper than buying an expansion tool.

I did buy the new muffler "kit" for vertical exhaust. This is made by Stanley Muffler and sold by Tractor Parts Express (among others). However, the way the pipe is bent, it will not clear the hood in a vertical position. Too short sideways. So, I re-used the bracket that was on the tractor along with the previous outlet pipe. Don't see a reference to a bracket like this in the parts catalog, so dont know where it came from, but it works.

Anyway, thought I would write this up in the hopes it could save others trouble.
Chris

View attachment 320232

/ 861 Manifold replacement
I have that same bracket on an 881, I thought it was home-made & plan to make one for 841. I couldn't find it in the parts catalog either. Maybe off a newer model?

Interesting...perhaps it is off a "thousand" series? Will do some digging. I thought mine was home-made also...

CB

/ 861 Manifold replacement

I did some digging this morning, and the CNH parts website shows a supercession as of 1/1/58. So perhaps the bracket we have is stock? The one shown in the parts catalog must be the old style.