Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N

/ Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N #1  

DrJC

Tractor
1972 ford 2000 3 cyl gas
Greetings from a happy new 1949 8N owner! I am currently looking at purchasing a used Walco rotary mower from a neighbour and am curious if the old girl can handle it. It is a 6" Walco Whistler and from the spec sheet appears to weigh 672 lbs (http://www.walcoequipment.com/file/mowers-rotary_walco_ l1.pdf). Will this work with my 8N?
FYI .. Following all of your advice on this forum, I recently started to change the seal on the PTO, as it was leaking. After taking her apart, I could not remove the seal as it was on there good. Took down to my local dealer and they could not get it off with a 50 tonne press and lots of heat! At this point, due to the fact the bearings were shot and it was a 1 1/8" shaft, ( and I figured maybe they overheated it and weakened the metal!), I took Soundguys' advice and replaced the whole shaft for $120, which I would have spent half on for parts on the old PTO. I now have a brand spanking new1 3/8" pto shaft. I cleaned all the sludge out of the system with the help of some good advice from Steve in Texas, cleaned her out with a few gallons of Diesel and by hand, removed 60 years of sludge, filled her up with some good new oil. Hydraulics working strong again! Thanks all for your great wisdom and advice. I have never worked on a tractor prior to this in my life. A very satisfying experience!

John from Nova Scotia

Attachments

• IMG_20130502_162026.JPG
    IMG_20130502_162026.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_20130502_162006.JPG
    IMG_20130502_162006.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 1,444
  • IMG_20130501_173418.JPG
    IMG_20130501_173418.JPG
    509.4 KB · Views: 390
   / Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N #2  
Tractordata say 800 lbs on the 3pt. It does not mention where that is measured from. So maybe it will lift it, maybe not.. They say 23 PTO horsepower measured.. seems marginal for a 6 foot rotary cutter, but if you are just going to cut light material, It may be OK.. I wonder if the neighbor would let you try out the mower for a while on your tractor to see how it performs, before you make the final transaction.. A round or 2 in the field would tell the tale.

TractorData.com Ford 8N tractor information

James K0UA

/ Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N #3  
that seal presses out with HAND pressure once you remove the snap rings.

I'm guessing you and the shop failed to disassemble the shaft and bearing and wear ring assembly correctly from the bearing carrier, after disassembly you can pus the seal out.. push a new one in.. etc. shame on your dealer for not being able to do this....

N are ok with 5' rotary and 6' finish mowers.

a average N lift should be able to lift 672# but i bet the front end gets light after 500# if the laod is long out the rear. if it's wide and close like a finish mower. probably not so bad.

front weight will help either way.

/ Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N #4  
Lifting it shouldn't be an issue. but what end lifts may very well be an issue with a cutter that long. Plan on doing something to weigh down the front end.

Or if you never plan on trailering or driving long distances, you dont need to raise it all the way. Leave the tailwheel on the ground.

I had my 700lb blade on dads 8n. Picked it up just fine. But was a little light in the front. But a blade isnt as long and keeps the weight in closer to the hitch.

/ Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N
Thanks all for your help. Any suggestions for a rotary cutter that works well for an 8N. Soundguy suggests that a 5' rotary cutter will work well with my N. Any brands that people like, as this is all new to me?? I have a newly planted orchard that needs the grass mowed! It gets long quickly. Will the N's PTO have enough power for the average 5' rotary cutter?
Soundguy, it was actually the metal collar on the pto shaft that was seized on, not the seal, I should have explained better. Thanks all for your input!
PS. Is it difficult to find a glass fuel bowl for the N?

John

/ Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N #6  
N will have enough power for any 5' rotarty cutter.

As to the brand...about any used $200 cutter off craigslist that works is what I would do. If you buy new, you could spend more than an N is worth to get a good 5' cutter.

the bowls are easy to find also.

/ Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N #7  
i agree. get an economy or light duty cutter if you do get new. no reason to have a mower that costs near as much as the tractor. plus the economy are lighter thus easier on t he hyds.. etc..

usually plenty of used ones available on craigslist.

/ Hydraulic lift capacity for 1949 8N #8  
Thanks all for your help. Any suggestions for a rotary cutter that works well for an 8N. Soundguy suggests that a 5' rotary cutter will work well with my N. Any brands that people like, as this is all new to me?? I have a newly planted orchard that needs the grass mowed! It gets long quickly. Will the N's PTO have enough power for the average 5' rotary cutter?
Soundguy, it was actually the metal collar on the pto shaft that was seized on, not the seal, I should have explained better. Thanks all for your input!
PS. Is it difficult to find a glass fuel bowl for the N?

John

new bowls are available at tsc. take your old one in for comparison in case your sediment bulb base is different.

as for the collar being seized on and then trying to press it off...

guess no one owns a torch or a die grinder.

easy to split with a die grinder and cold chissle.

no hassle.