Rusted top of gas tank...?

/ Rusted top of gas tank...? #1  

hwinch5

Tractor
Gravely, Model L, Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe
Hello all, I've rescued a 1964 Ford Industrial 2000 b/h from a neighbor's backyard. It's been parked 15 years...he said if you can get it running it's yours! Replaced battery, starter, multiple hydro hoses and rear tire. Finally got it running & home!!! Still plenty of repairs/maintenance ahead. Does anybody have ideas to solve or fix a small rusted hole in the top of gas tank? Another issue is the charging system...I always have to jump it to start it. Voltage regulator or alternator? Thanks for the help. I'll try to keep you posted on progress.:rolleyes:

/ Rusted top of gas tank...?
I'm trying to upload a profile pic??

/ Rusted top of gas tank...? #4  
if the gas tank has a hole int he top you can see.. it probably hass a dozen forming you can't see.

for a temp fix.. sand the spot. then get a tin tab or a penny.. , sluig from an electrical box. put jb weld on it and stick over the hole.

problem solved tillt he next one opens.

as for charge system.

what's it got. agenerator or alternator.

can't help yuo till you tell me what ya got?.

/ Rusted top of gas tank...?
Thanks for your help....I believe my b-h has a both a voltage regulator below the dashboard & an alternator belt driven behind the radiator - left side.

/ Rusted top of gas tank...? #6  
need to know if it's a pair.. or just the old vreg left over and a new internally regualted alternator.