Brush Hogging with a 9N

/ Brush Hogging with a 9N #1  

xcav8r

Tractor
Ford 9N & 8N
As a new member I thought it would be interesting to post some of the activities that I do with my Ford N Series tractors.

Thursday the third I went to pick up my no-name brush hog and a 3 point post hole digger, It was a 60 mile drive only to find that the owner had already sold the brush hog...out from under me. It would have been no big deal except I had already committed to mowing 21 undeveloped lots that were under citation by the city to get cleaned up. Of course I was asking myself WHY! I had decided that perhaps something better would come along when I got a call from a gentleman 70 miles further away that I had contacted two weeks previous. He had a John Deere 503 mower that was at a fairly steep used price but was virtually brand new. I drove there and picked it up and also secured a place to Pheasant Hunt this fall:cool2:

Friday I spent in building a grill guard, as to save my precious, and building a chain set up to allow the mower to rest on the chains instead of the hydraulics. I also installed a ORC that cost $80 here at Bismarck's TSC, and tightened my sway chains.

Sat. I sallied forth, just as if I had good sense, and began to hog brush for the first time.

This property is hilly, and wet. Fire hydrants and curb stops as well as manholes were already installed. Black dirt had been scraped and piled several years ago as had the brush. Crevices ran at random intervals all over the place due to the heavy rains this spring, also there were dozens of rocks the size of my head scattered throughout to keep one's heart pumping. Lots of very thick tall grass that wanted to fold over and hide from the blades. All in all there were lots of obstacles PLUS a learning curve.

It took 15 hours running in first gear full throttle as most of the grass (not brush) was 4-6 feet high. The tractor consumed 20 gallons of gas, one carburetor, (stuff in my cleaned out tank) and one front 3 ribbed brand new tire,,,,,,brand new. Did I mention "learning curve" LOL

I learned a lot, not the least of which is a new appreciation for live power and better brakes....perhaps a herd of goats......

/ Brush Hogging with a 9N #2  
I certainly hope you charged enough to cover those unseen costs.

Lets see...

I figure with the tire, fuel, carb, I am guessing you had ~300 in expenses + 15 hours of your time.

if your time is worth $25/hr to pay your self + costs, you should have gotten around $700. But thats WAY too low for owning and maintaining a tractor/business.

With a N and 5' cutter, around me people are getting ~$40-$50/hr.

So...now I hafta ask, what did you charge??

/ Brush Hogging with a 9N
Well you made my day. I took all of your considerations into account when I priced the job by the hour ($50). I will receive $750 for the job which was 26 lots worth. I initially thought I could do the job for $500 but I kept that figure to myself, which was fortunate as I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Sometimes one has to just plunge in and pay for the education with experience. I have had several other "educational experiences" over the years that did not end so well and am grateful this one covered expenses.

/ Brush Hogging with a 9N #4  
Very nice post... I live in Mandan, but keep my tractor by Park Rapids MN.

Used to "hog" with an N years ago and it is definitely a challenge. This year got a 861 and what a world of difference! Live hydraulics, 5 speed and live pto make all the difference! Much more power also.

The "hundred" series tractors were a big change for Ford. Really like the Ns also.
Chris

/ Brush Hogging with a 9N #5  
So you just charged by the hour and they were okay with waiting and seeing how long it took??

What if it took 25 hours? Would they have been okay?

I am glad everything worked out and all parties were satisfied, but in the future, IMO, it is best to charge a flat price for the "job". That way there is no confusion a the end, and they cant say "I thought it was only going to take 5 hours" or something.

My target for my kubota and 6' hog is 50/hr. but that number is for me to know only. I use that number, combined with experience, and give the customer a flat charge. Sometimes I end up making less per hour, sometimes more, but it all works out in the end.

And when I do my figures per hour, I include my drive in there. Cause it certainly aint free to get equipment to and from site, and it is for the customers benefit, so by rights, they pay.

/ Brush Hogging with a 9N #6  
new carb? old tsx 33 not cleanable?

loss of front tire? so bad it could not be patched and re-tubed?

/ Brush Hogging with a 9N #7  
So you just charged by the hour and they were okay with waiting and seeing how long it took??

What if it took 25 hours? Would they have been okay?

I am glad everything worked out and all parties were satisfied, but in the future, IMO, it is best to charge a flat price for the "job". That way there is no confusion a the end, and they cant say "I thought it was only going to take 5 hours" or something.

My target for my kubota and 6' hog is 50/hr. but that number is for me to know only. I use that number, combined with experience, and give the customer a flat charge. Sometimes I end up making less per hour, sometimes more, but it all works out in the end.

And when I do my figures per hour, I include my drive in there. Cause it certainly aint free to get equipment to and from site, and it is for the customers benefit, so by rights, they pay.

I have charged by the hour and had the customer wait and see how long it would take. If you custom mow long enough the need will come for that.

/ Brush Hogging with a 9N
I'm thinking that when one is in business one will eventually use all sorts of pricing techniques., depending on the situation and the temperament of the individuals involved. Some folks are content to price one way or another or change as the conditions change. It has been my experience in other endeavors that even different areas of the country are more comfortable with one method of pricing over another. That is why this web site is so cool. We have various aged people from various parts of the country, sharing their various opinions and various talents, with various other people concerning the various tractors and implements we love. I am learning a lot (and my wife says I think I know it all). LOL