Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid?

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid? #1  

cletus99

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota L3800HST
I have a 1963 Ford 4000 diesel and it got stuck in reverse over the weekend. I took the shift lever plate off to see if I could figure out how to get it unstuck. It's happened before and I have rocked it back and forth before and got it unstuck, but it didn't work this time. Anyway, the hydraulic fluid was almost to the top. The level was completely over the gears and the shifter rods (whatever they're called). It was about an inch or two from running over. I believe the little square headed bolt on the right side by your foot is where you check the level. I took it out and let it drain out that hole until it got down to that level. Am I correct on this? Is that where the level should be, up to the hole with the square headed bolt?

I bought this tractor at an auction a year or so ago and it's not in the best shape, but it gets me by until I can afford to get a new one. I only paid $1500 for it, $1700 after tax and auction fees. I know it needs some clutch work and probably a few new gears. The fuel injector pump leaks slightly and the PTO won't engage with the tractor running. Besides that she runs good. I wish I had the money to get these things fixed, but I imagine it would probably cost me close to $3000 or more.

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid? #2  
With the fluid level being that high, I would go ahead and drain the transmission and check for water. If there is water in it, you might have just drained off your oil and left the water. If there's no water, then reuse the oil and fill to correct level.

Mike

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid? #3  
Yes, the pipe plug on the right side of the tranny is for checking the level.

Have you changed fluids since you got the machine? If not, I would drain the trans, hydro and rear. Then refill with a UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) meeting M2C134D spec. You can use UTF in all three sumps. The trans and rear have pipe plug level hole, the hydro has a dipstick.

With the PTO not wanting to engage and having "stuck" gears it may be the clutch not releasing? How does the clutch feel? Have you checked the adjustment?

Just to make sure, we are talking about a 4 cylinder 4000?

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid?
No I haven't changed the fluids except the oil since I got it. Money has been tight, especially now that I'm furloughed. I'm a government employee so I'm loosing two days per pay period. Yes I believe it is the 4 cylinder. It's a 1963 deisel and it's not the select o matic. Changing the hydro fluid has been on my to-do-list I just haven't gotten to it. There probably is water in it since there isn't a gasket under the shifter plate and I did keep it out in the rain until I got my shed built. The fluid is real thick though. The color of the fluid is about the same color as coffee with creamer in it. I'm not sure what color it's supposed to be.

Oh I don't believe I have a dip stick anywhere though except for the engine oil.

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid? #5  
Go ahead and service the entire machine, sound like you have water mixed in with the trans oil. Soundguy has a recipe for cleaning out all the sumps, hope he will post in later. I have a 4000 industrial with a SOS that I'm going to be swapping over to a four speed. They are strong machines and moves our hay bales with very little effort. Congrats on your purchase

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid? #6  
deffinately service it. as another poster said. you likel drained off the oil floating on the water. the water may be adding to why the trans is locking up..

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid? #7  
Oh I don't believe I have a dip stick anywhere though except for the engine oil.

There is a dipstick for checking the hydraulic (not trans or rear) sump. This looks like a "knob" adjacent to the PTO shift lever.

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid? #8  
Money may be tight, but you will throw away $1700 by not servicing it, then you will have to spend that again or more on another one.

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid? #9  
he said hyd fluid.. but then said he was looking in trans. ( go figure. :) )

/ Ford 4000 How to check Hydraulic Fluid?
There is a dipstick for checking the hydraulic (not trans or rear) sump. This looks like a "knob" adjacent to the PTO shift lever.

I don't remember seeing one there, but I will look this afternoon when I get home.

he said hyd fluid.. but then said he was looking in trans. ( go figure. :) )

It uses Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid does it not?