What to look for on a Ford 4000 diesel?

/ What to look for on a Ford 4000 diesel? #1  

JasG

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2650,
I asked this under the Ford Ag and got no replies so far so I thought maybe under here. I guess it's hard for me to think of a tractor that was very popular in my youth as vintage. I would see these on farms, I just never worked for anyone with one. I've searched the forums and still haven't found much as far as what to look for on a used Ford 4000.

A friend of mine would like me to go with him and look at a Ford 4000 diesel. I don't know the year or hours on it, just that he said it looked to be in good shape and hasn't been run for a few years. So I don't even know by that if it will even start. While I'm very familiar with machinery most of my time has been spent on Deere and IH/Farmall of that vintage machinery.

I've seen some that look like Ford 801's and some that are more square and blue in color, don't know which this is. Is there a difference other than sheet metal between the two?

What are the things to look for on these machines as far as weak point or common things that go wrong?

/ What to look for on a Ford 4000 diesel? #2  
there are 2 models of ford 4000 both have diesel as an available engine.

in 63-64 ford revamped the 601, 701, 801, 901 and ind series with slight cosmetic mods to the tin (mainly )

they were still the 4 cyl 134 172 and 192 gassers ( or lp ).. and th 144 / 172 diesel red tigers.

tehn for the 65 model year.. the 3 cyls came out.. there were gas and diesel of each..e tc. the 4000 3 cyl is a bit more tractor than the 4 cyl.. one of the best points i can think of is the better front end bolster and axle arangement. it was a significant improvement and deviation away from the light duty front ends that used radius rods.

sometimes you see a 4000 SU and that is basically a 4000 handicapped with a light duty front end from a 3000.. axle technology dtraight from 1939 essentially...

ayway.. recap. 63-64 4000 is a 4 cyl repop of an 801 or 901 depending on ag or rowcrop chassis..

65-75 is the 3 cyl.. and yes there were rowcrops.. but if it's an actual 4000 and not say a 4200.. no need to discuss it. in mid 68 thay changed the tin from a louvered style... model id numbers stamped with letters as a first digit vs a number.. ie.. D vs 4 etc..

i *think* the early 3 cyl may have used screw in core plugs. i know they did on the 233 ci on the 5000 series.. not sure on 192 and 201's rickb would know.

in a 3 cyl 4000 i'd look for an 8spd and non louvered tin. obviously newer and better condition is ideal.

in a 4 cyl 4000 i'd look for a 5spd , assuming no swap from an 851, the 2000/4000 5spd was the dual clutch model as far as i know.. ie.. a 4000 4 cyl ag model with a 5spd would be similar to an 861

post pics of the grill and left side as well, if you have any questions. model id and sn anddate codes will help. they are found aft of the starter. on the 3 cyl.. A, C, B as possibilities for SN prefix.. antwerp belgium, basildon england.. or C for a us model..

look at the usual stuff. working power steering. serviceable tires. all features working. pto, lift.. no excessive wear, leaks.. no water in oil.. oil in water or fuel in oil.. .. starts good cold.. pulls in all gears and ratio's etc. brakes.. etc.. especually brakes onthe 3 cyl..much harder to work on than a 4 cyl due to the inboard / planataries

if you have specific questions.. post back..

/ What to look for on a Ford 4000 diesel?
Thank you for the information.

Well, went and looked at the tractor today, I didn't have a camera with me. It seems to be in very good shape, all the sheet metal is on good shape. It started up good, just took a minute for the charge light to go out once running. The data plate being right over the battery is hard to make out due to pitting. Under model say D10140, engine 8F7A, Trans 8D22B, unit 8905B, another number that might be a serial number is 6216310. The rest of the data plate I could not make out.

It has 4950 for hours on it. The current owner bought it in 2006 and only put maybe 20-40 hours a year on it. The tires were new at the time it was purchased so they have very little wear and no cuts.

It has 1 remote on the back, what would it take to add a second?
Is there an adjustment for the 3pt hitch? This one took about 45 seconds to raise each time.
It is also missing the top link for the 3 point hitch.

How much effort should be needed to turn the wheels? It has a power steering cylinder down the side of the tractor, but still seemed to take some effort to turn the wheels.

I just drove it around the yard a little. It seemed to shift good and the brakes worked very well. No leaks or anything I could find wrong with it other than a few minor things. Headlights work, but the back lights and warning flashers do not.

The woman who bought it was using it to put in hay for her goats, but found it easier to rent out her land and buy the hay she needed.

Last edited:
I found some kits to add a 2nd remote to the back. Looks like the valve that is there now would have to be replaced with a dual valve. There were about $1200.00 which seemed to include everything needed.

/ What to look for on a Ford 4000 diesel? #6  
yes.. the dual valve is about that much.. or you can us ethe single to power a generic dual, and have more hoses.. but less cost.

the power steering is less effective at low rpm. idleing.. will be nill. at working rpm.. a 3 cyl 4000 should be able to steer with a finger almost.

i bet you saw D1014C

post 68 ag chassie, diesel, independent 540 pto and 8spd twin stick trans.

very common build..

It very well could be D1014C, the data plate is pitted.

My friend committed to buy it, and I now have the owners manual. I will be the one to service and teach him how to use it.

What motor oil do you run? Our temps range from 0 in winter to high 90's in the summer. I've never seen a tractor that has a chart with such narrow temp ranges on it for the oil. Will SAE 30 be alright or a multi grade? It doesn't recommend a multi in a diesel which could be just the age.

/ What to look for on a Ford 4000 diesel? #8  
It doesn't recommend a multi in a diesel which could be just the age.

Just the age.

15w40, or 5w40 if you like syn. Take your pick. Just make sure it is diesel rated oil. Rotella, Delvac, etc.

Post some pics when you can.

Soundguy: How is the Power steering set up on the 4000?? You said it should turn with one finger when working, makes me think it isnt like the industrial 4500...

/ What to look for on a Ford 4000 diesel? #9  
It very well could be D1014C, the data plate is pitted.

My friend committed to buy it, and I now have the owners manual. I will be the one to service and teach him how to use it.

What motor oil do you run? Our temps range from 0 in winter to high 90's in the summer. I've never seen a tractor that has a chart with such narrow temp ranges on it for the oil. Will SAE 30 be alright or a multi grade? It doesn't recommend a multi in a diesel which could be just the age.

0-90 I think i might go 5w40 syn.. or if you will be doing 2 oil changes per year.. 10w30 C rated ( diesel ) oil.. and in the summer 15w40 C rated ( diesel oil )

soundguy

/ What to look for on a Ford 4000 diesel? #10  
Soundguy: How is the Power steering set up on the 4000?? You said it should turn with one finger when working, makes me think it isnt like the industrial 4500...

i don't mess with the industrials much ( 4500 etc.. ) so i'm not sure what they have for steering.. however the 4000 should presumably hav ethe same pow steer pump as most of the other x000/x600, however with a different box. for instance.. the 3000 still would use a dual sector box.. but the 5000 uses a single sector box. there were also differences in early and late 5000 ps... however all of mine with ps.. even the oldies in the 00 series.. if the engine is revved.. it's a 1-finger to turn t he wheel issue...... at low rpm / idle.. not so much.. :)