1964 Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe fluid change help...

/ 1964 Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe fluid change help... #1  

hwinch5

Tractor
Gravely, Model L, Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe
I'm sure this has been discussed before...but can you review how much hydraulic fluid my machine takes? My 4 cylinder gas machine has been parked 15 years...should I drain, replace filter & re-fill? Also, I think the shifter boot has been leaking water into the transfer case...how much & what kind of fluid should I use to replace it? Thanks for teaching this new member some basics! :cool:

/ 1964 Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe fluid change help... #2  
i'd do a complet flush and refill on a machine that sat that long..

does the hoe have it's own hyd sump.. or is it plumbed into the tractor hyds?

Either way.. it's going to be a good amount of YTF fluid in those hoses and DA cyls.. plus whatever is in the sump. tractor nominally holds 2g of hyd fluid in the internal sump. you would need that plus the hose volume and cyls. I'd plan on eating 5g utf for the hoe /hyds alone. more if it has it's own sump.. the trans and rear need servicing as well. can use utf in those as well. I'd plan on having 10g of utf vaailable for that project.. maybee more depending on how the hoe's hyds are plumbed.

/ 1964 Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe fluid change help...
Thanks Soundguy for responding! The hoe doesn't have its own sump. I add hyd fluid into the left arm of fel & it gets pumped thru the pump mounted on the front end near radiator. I do have a plug near gear shift & one behind front seat. Both take utf is great. Do I use side plug to measure level of fluid? I have a dip stick looking handle on left side of transfer case, but it doesn't seem to want to come out?? It almost seems like a dummy dipstick? Blame it on the learning curve...everyday is an adventure...I'm still learning!! Any place on the web to buy a new seat front/back? Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!!:confused2:

/ 1964 Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe fluid change help... #4  
ok.. sound slike your hoe DOES have it's own sump. it's using the loader hyds.. so that can be drained independently of the rest of the tractor.

tractor hyds.. if it has a 3pt.. uses a mushroom cap dipstick on same side as pto shifter in the round cover. trans has a plug aft of right foot just above running board deck.

rear end has a pip plug on lower left side ( rear) of axle trumptet.

3 drains.. 3 fills.

Any details on how to a complete flush?
:confused:

/ 1964 Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe fluid change help... #7  
if it is real wet. i'd add in a lil diesel, atf /f / dex 3, and some rubbing alcohol. drive around the yard and drain. If it's not wet.. don't waste the $$

Thanks for the update. It's on my w/e to do list!
:licking:

/ 1964 Ford 2000 Industrial backhoe fluid change help... #9  
love to see more pics of her!